Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

Bypassing the CMS

2 Posts   806 Views

te_chris

Community Member, 24 Posts

11 August 2010 at 2:15pm

Thought i'd ask this as a new question

So, I'm building this web app, but now I have a question about the templates: How does the template hierarchy work when one isn't extending site tree. like I know that i need to use render with, but can I still have a base template (i'm guessing name Controller.php) to represent the default rendering of the base controller class and then still use the $Layout placeholder to call the sub templates? obviously I don't want to have to write doctypes and headers into each template file, so my question is: how does one handle templates when just using controller?

also as an aside, once i've got my app deployed i'm going to write about the process of using silverstripe for sapphire, not the cms, in the hope that it will convince more people to use and extend this very sweet php framework

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

11 August 2010 at 9:15pm

I assume a Controller.ss would be used failing everything. You may need to have your own render with on your base controller which returns a forTemplate (or renderWith) with array($this->class, 'Controller'); (class if its a subclassed controller or controller by default).