Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

Develop my first template

6 Posts   921 Views

Kai

Community Member, 4 Posts

1 February 2011 at 8:55am

Hello, I am a Joomla superuser & developer, and I have used Joomla for over 5 years now. I am also a PHP developer, and I have developed a bunch of Joomla templates. I work as a webdeveloper at a ad-agency, and I would like to start using SilverStripe for new sites. SilverStripe looks very promising, and really look forward to get to know more about this tool.

Since I am new to SilverStripe, I would like to know how to build my own template? I would like to create a new template from scratch. I have coded my own HTML template with CSS. What is correct folderstructure?

I tried to duplicate the tutorial template, but that didn't worked well.

Mrfixer

Community Member, 49 Posts

1 February 2011 at 11:39am

My advise would be to check the tutorial again, i followed it myself only 2 days ago and im having no problems at all, important points would be to note that:

"mysite" folder contains your _config.php and also a sub-folder "code" that contains the controllers for your page templates (important if you need to add seperate fields into a page templates CMS)

as for the folder structure of your theme just place your themes folder into the "themes" folder alongside blackcandy and tutorial themes, then its just a case of ensuring that inside your theme folder you have a "css, images and templates" folders and inside the templates folder"Layouts and Includes" includes folder for includes such as footer and in my case left/right sidebars and header and then Page.ss inside templates file and also in the Layouts folder (any other page templates that you have created as .php inside "mysite/code" folder also need to be in here with the same name as in "mysite/code" except with a .ss extension)

Dont forget to edit mysite/_config.php with your theme name and dont do what i kept doing and not adding the $Form variable into your theme, lost count of the number of times i did this and had to edit config back to blackcandy so i could login to CMS.

Like i say im new to SS too but these are my settings and working great at this end, if they aint 100% im sure someone will correct me

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

1 February 2011 at 1:20pm

For more theme / template documentation check out the Wiki - http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/topics/theme-development.

Kai

Community Member, 4 Posts

1 February 2011 at 7:54pm

Thanks for your reply Mrfixer, I reuploaded the template and it worked fine with flush. I forgot to edit the config files, but thanks to you for pointing that out for me. SilverStripe looks very promising, and I really look forward to start using this amazing tool.

I hope the GUI in CMS will be modernized a bit for next versions - looks a bit old to me

deny

Community Member, 1 Post

10 February 2011 at 9:37pm

Thanks for reply,Because its first develop my first template.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

12 February 2011 at 12:37am

I hope the GUI in CMS will be modernized a bit for next versions - looks a bit old to me

Yes this is one of the major discussion points in the dev mailing list (http://groups.google.com/group/silverstripe-dev). The design has been around since the first 2.0 release (2006/7) with some minor enhancements in 2.2 done.