Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

*SOLVED* - Can't seem to use Summary() and other data function on Virtual page properties

3 Posts   564 Views

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 604 Posts

4 March 2013 at 7:30pm

Version 2.4

I have a virtual page derived from a normal page. This normal page has a text field. You could even take the default Content field on a page as an example.

I then have a holder page to display a list of these pages and allow the user to click through to the page itself. This holder loops these using:

<% control Children %>
$Content.Summary(40).
<% end_control %>

In the template, I am truncating the text in Content using $Content.Summary(40).

This works as expected where the child is a real data object. But when it is a virtual page, the output is blank. However in these cases if I just change the template to be $Content (without calling Summary), the text is output in full.

I found that the above is true for any native function supported by the datatype (in this case, and HTMLField)

Is this a framework limitation? Is there a workaround?

Double-A-Ron

4 March 2013 at 8:22pm

Edited: 04/03/2013 8:32pm

Found the solution to this, and it seems that this is a Framework limitation.

I had to replace $Children with a custom method in the holder class file that detected if the current child was a virtual page, and load the real data object from the master content ID.

MyHolder.php - MyHolderController Class

public function realPages() {
      $children = $this->Children();
      $return = new DataObjectSet();
      foreach ($children as $child)
      {
         if($child->ClassName == 'VirtualPage') {
// Current child is virtual, get the real page
            $virtualPage = DataObject::get_by_id('VirtualPage', $child->ID);
            $realPage = DataObject::get_by_id('Page', $virtualPage->CopyContentFromID);
         } else {
// Current child is real, just use it as it is
            $realPage = $child;
         }
       $return->push($realPage);
      }
      return $return;
   }

Then in the template change

<% control Children %>

To:

<% control realPages %>

The one thing with this is that the URL link and ID is that of the Virtual pages master, so I have to come up with some funky setters there.

Double-A-Ron

4 March 2013 at 9:24pm

This is turning into a bit of a nightmare actually. After doing the above, I cannot find a way to provide the loop with the virtual page's $Link and $ID. Obviously the new method is returning the object of the page the virtual one derives from, but there doesn't seem to be a way to return a mix of the virtual page properties and the real page's properties that actually support using the built in methods.