Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

How to include HTML in Navigation Label

6 Posts   3808 Views

comfixit

Community Member, 3 Posts

26 December 2008 at 10:45am

I am trying to create a navigation effect similar to http://www.SimpleBits.com

They seem to place HTML in their navigation elements.

The problem is that the Navigation Label seems to insist on sanitizing the text entered and as a result when I put my HTML in the Navigation Label it outputs the escaped codes rather then what I am intending when I display $MenuTitle.

Is there a different variable that will display the value without substituting what I entered?

comfixit

26 December 2008 at 11:18am

Edited: 26/12/2008 11:46am

I was able to work around this by going into /sapphire/core/model/SiteTree.php, line 65 and change the MenuTitle attribute from Varchar(100) which does not seem to allow HTML characters to HTMLVarchar(100) which works like a charm.

Any chance we could open a discussion about making this a permanent change?

If you think about it the MenuTitle is meant to be displayed within the confines of an HTML page so being able to include HTML tags (although a bit unorthodox) should be permitted. If a person needs to put in a special character they can utilize the HTML escape code for that.

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

27 December 2008 at 10:36pm

How about adding a new variable to the CMS/db?

like a $SubTitle or something...

You could then create you navigation html in the templates - where it belongs imho - with $MenuTitle and $SubTitle...

comfixit

30 December 2008 at 9:35am

Edited: 30/12/2008 10:10am

Dio5

So if I am understanding what you are suggesting correctly I should extend the model in a similar manner as is done in the second tutorial and place the code in there?

ianski

Community Member, 2 Posts

16 December 2009 at 2:34pm

Have you tried in the relevant *.ss template file, using .RAW e.g.

$MenuTitle.RAW

It might well do what you need...

krzepa

Community Member, 5 Posts

31 March 2011 at 4:57am

Ok, so is there any easy way to get html in MenuTitle without changing SiteTree or adding additional field?