Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Silverstripe 2.3.0-rc2 puts out too many tags?

Go to End

4 Posts   1890 Views

SilverRay

Community Member, 167 Posts

3 January 2009 at 1:43am

Hi,

Weird problem. In my template it says:

<ul id="mainnav">
<% control Menu(1) %>
	<li class="$LinkingMode">
		<a href="$Link" title="Go to the &quot;{$MenuTitle}&quot; section">$MenuTitle</a>
			<ul>
			<% control Children %>
				<li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the &quot;{$MenuTitle}&quot; section">$MenuTitle</a></li>
			<% end_control %>
			</ul>
	</li>
<% end_control %>
</ul>

You know, to see second level menus when you hover over the first level. Normally works (with some JS added as well for IE6). But Silverstripe 2.3.0-rc2 renders the code like this (according to source view in my browser, I edited for brevity):

<ul id="mainnav"
	<li class="current">
		<a href="/cmstest/" title="Go to the &quot;Home&quot; section">Home</a>
			<ul>
			</ul>
	</li>
	<li class="link">
		<a href="/cmstest/new-page/" title="Go to the &quot;test one&quot; section">test one</a>
			<ul>
				<li><a href="/cmstest/new-page-6/" title="Go to the &quot;New Page&quot; section">New Page</a></li>
				<li><a href="/cmstest/new-page-7/" title="Go to the &quot;New Page&quot; section">New Page</a></li>
				<li><a href="/cmstest/new-page-8/" title="Go to the &quot;New Page&quot; section">New Page</a></li>
			</ul>
	</li>
	<li class="link">
		<a href="/cmstest/new-page-2/" title="Go to the &quot;test two&quot; section">test two</a>
			<ul>
			</ul>
	</li>
	<li class="link">
		<a href="/cmstest/new-page-3/" title="Go to the &quot;test three&quot; section">test three</a>
			<ul>
			</ul>
	</li>
	<li class="link">
		<a href="/cmstest/new-page-4/" title="Go to the &quot;test four&quot; section">test four</a>
			<ul>
			</ul>
	</li>
	<li class="link">
		<a href="/cmstest/new-page-5/" title="Go to the &quot;test five&quot; section">test five</a>
			<ul>
			</ul>
	</li>
</ul>

As you can see, it closes ul and li tags where it is not supposed to. What gives? File a bug?

- Ray.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

3 January 2009 at 4:06am

Edited: 03/01/2009 4:07am

This is why it's good practice to evaluate a loop before beginning it. Use:

<% if Children %>
<ul>
<% control Children %>
<li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the "{$MenuTitle}" section">$MenuTitle</a></li>
<% end_control %>
</ul>
<% end_if %>

SilverRay

3 January 2009 at 2:44pm

Ha, yes I will. I was still in development mode, so I did not put in the if blocks yet (lazy, I know). Thanks.

SilverRay

4 January 2009 at 8:45pm

Edited: 04/01/2009 9:47pm

Yup, works now. Duh.

Another thing I didn't realize in advance, is that if you go to the second level menu, you want the second level to stay (I use a nested, folding out menu thingie). So, on the home page you see the first level nav, when you hover you see the second level nav, but if you click on a second level item and go to that page, how would I then have the second level menu visible at all times? Without making all kinds of separate templates that is. Hmm.

Edit: nevermind, I figured it out. Now I have to make it work with IE6 as well...