Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Checking Image Orientation

Go to End

8 Posts   3849 Views

Boogiez

Community Member, 17 Posts

9 January 2009 at 10:31am

Hey all,

I apologize if I should be able to figure this out on my own, but I've been working on it for a few days and I just don't know how to write this. A veteran SS'er should probably find this pretty trivial...

I have a page that has a different layout based on whether a photo on the page is landscape or portrait oriented. I want to write a boolean function isHorizontal so that I can have a template that looks something like this:

<% if isHorizontal %>
// Horizontal code here
<% else %>
// Vertical code here
<% end_if %>

Right now, I have created a function inside the Controller class for the page that goes like this:

function isHorizontal() {
	$result = rand(1,2);
	if($result==1) return true;
	return false;
	}

This works exactly like I want it to, except it obviously just returns a random result for the image orientation rather than checking the image's height against its width. I've looked at the datamodel stuff and it's just a little bit over my head as I'm not great with PHP. If anyone is able to answer this, I would also be incredible appreciative if you could explain your answer. Thanks!

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

9 January 2009 at 10:50am

Well, assuming you haven't subclassed your image and you're using the standard Image object, you're going to have to do some hacking.

public function Horizontal()
{
return $this->obj('NameOfImageField')->getHeight()<$this->obj('NameOfImageField')->getWidth();
}

A better way to do it is to create a MyImage.php class

class MyImage extends Image
{
public function Horizontal()
{
return $this->getWidth() > $this->getHeight();
}
}

and of course update your model to use the MyImage class rather than Image.

Boogiez

9 January 2009 at 11:37am

Thanks for your quick response!

I decided to go with your second suggestion and call my subclass "GalleryImage." So I created a php file, GalleryImage.php and placed it in the code directory:

class GalleryImage extends Image { 
	public function Horizontal() { 
		return $this->getWidth() > $this->getHeight(); 
	} 
}

However, after adding this (before updating my model) I rebuilt the database and I get this:

* GalleryImage
class GalleryImage extends Image { public function Horizontal() { return $this->getWidth() > $this->getHeight(); } }
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/homewerx/potteraestudios.com/site/sapphire/core/model/DatabaseAdmin.php:137) in /home/homewerx/potteraestudios.com/site/sapphire/core/Debug.php on line 151

It also failed after updating my model, and after I changed the return statement to simply be false rather than doing the calculation. I must be missing something super obvious...

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

9 January 2009 at 11:41am

is all of that wrapped in <?php tags? Looks like your code is just spilling out into the browser.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

9 January 2009 at 11:55am

Heh, I liked the idea so I submitted a patch and Sam has already merged into 2.3, so in the new (nearly ready for release) version, you will be able to do:

myImage->getOrientation()

...which will return a class constant, either:

ORIENTATION_SQUARE or ORIENTATION_PORTRAIT or ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE.

So, in your page class you will be able to do:

function landscape() {
return $this->Image()->getOrienation() == Image::ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE;
}

Boogiez

9 January 2009 at 7:10pm

I did indeed forget to put it in the <?php ... ?> tags. D'oh!

Works like a charm!

Boogiez

10 January 2009 at 11:35am

Just FYI - I was converting an website I created several years ago to use SilverStripe rather than the hackish CMS I wrote in REALBasic. Despite the legacy code being a steaming mound of poo, it was easy to move everything over.

Check it out (the image orientation bit occurs in the gallery):
http://www.potteraestudios.com/

And if you value proper XHTML/CSS coding, then for the love of God, do not check the source code. It's the most miserable table-based, inline-CSS garbage ever. But it's not worth fixing at this point ;)

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

10 January 2009 at 3:08pm

Edited: 10/01/2009 3:08pm

looks like your flash intro is still linking to site/index.html, throws a 404 is you watch it all the way through ;)

have you thought about using the e-commerce module for the shop stuff? perhaps it's overkill but might be good to try (although I've heard getting Paypal to work can be a pain).

I found the navigation a little confusing, but I liked the site :)