Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

Checking Image Orientation

8 Posts   2320 Views

Boogiez

Community Member, 17 Posts

9 January 2009 at 10:31am

Hey all,

I apologize if I should be able to figure this out on my own, but I've been working on it for a few days and I just don't know how to write this. A veteran SS'er should probably find this pretty trivial...

I have a page that has a different layout based on whether a photo on the page is landscape or portrait oriented. I want to write a boolean function isHorizontal so that I can have a template that looks something like this:

<% if isHorizontal %>
// Horizontal code here
<% else %>
// Vertical code here
<% end_if %>

Right now, I have created a function inside the Controller class for the page that goes like this:

function isHorizontal() {
   $result = rand(1,2);
   if($result==1) return true;
   return false;
   }

This works exactly like I want it to, except it obviously just returns a random result for the image orientation rather than checking the image's height against its width. I've looked at the datamodel stuff and it's just a little bit over my head as I'm not great with PHP. If anyone is able to answer this, I would also be incredible appreciative if you could explain your answer. Thanks!

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4094 Posts

9 January 2009 at 10:50am

Well, assuming you haven't subclassed your image and you're using the standard Image object, you're going to have to do some hacking.

public function Horizontal()
{
return $this->obj('NameOfImageField')->getHeight()<$this->obj('NameOfImageField')->getWidth();
}

A better way to do it is to create a MyImage.php class

class MyImage extends Image
{
public function Horizontal()
{
return $this->getWidth() > $this->getHeight();
}
}

and of course update your model to use the MyImage class rather than Image.

Boogiez

9 January 2009 at 11:37am

Thanks for your quick response!

I decided to go with your second suggestion and call my subclass "GalleryImage." So I created a php file, GalleryImage.php and placed it in the code directory:

class GalleryImage extends Image {
   public function Horizontal() {
      return $this->getWidth() > $this->getHeight();
   }
}

However, after adding this (before updating my model) I rebuilt the database and I get this:

* GalleryImage
class GalleryImage extends Image { public function Horizontal() { return $this->getWidth() > $this->getHeight(); } }
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/homewerx/potteraestudios.com/site/sapphire/core/model/DatabaseAdmin.php:137) in /home/homewerx/potteraestudios.com/site/sapphire/core/Debug.php on line 151

It also failed after updating my model, and after I changed the return statement to simply be false rather than doing the calculation. I must be missing something super obvious...

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4094 Posts

9 January 2009 at 11:41am

is all of that wrapped in <?php tags? Looks like your code is just spilling out into the browser.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

9 January 2009 at 11:55am

Heh, I liked the idea so I submitted a patch and Sam has already merged into 2.3, so in the new (nearly ready for release) version, you will be able to do:

myImage->getOrientation()

...which will return a class constant, either:

ORIENTATION_SQUARE or ORIENTATION_PORTRAIT or ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE.

So, in your page class you will be able to do:

function landscape() {
   return $this->Image()->getOrienation() == Image::ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE;
}

Boogiez

9 January 2009 at 7:10pm

I did indeed forget to put it in the <?php ... ?> tags. D'oh!

Works like a charm!

Boogiez

10 January 2009 at 11:35am

Just FYI - I was converting an website I created several years ago to use SilverStripe rather than the hackish CMS I wrote in REALBasic. Despite the legacy code being a steaming mound of poo, it was easy to move everything over.

Check it out (the image orientation bit occurs in the gallery):
http://www.potteraestudios.com/

And if you value proper XHTML/CSS coding, then for the love of God, do not check the source code. It's the most miserable table-based, inline-CSS garbage ever. But it's not worth fixing at this point ;)

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

10 January 2009 at 3:08pm

Edited: 10/01/2009 3:08pm

looks like your flash intro is still linking to site/index.html, throws a 404 is you watch it all the way through ;)

have you thought about using the e-commerce module for the shop stuff? perhaps it's overkill but might be good to try (although I've heard getting Paypal to work can be a pain).

I found the navigation a little confusing, but I liked the site :)