Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

Current Language in Template Conditional

6 Posts   3404 Views

svinkle

Community Member, 16 Posts

6 February 2009 at 9:11am

Edited: 06/02/2009 9:12am

I've noticed in templates that I can use $Lang to output the current language. I'm trying to use this in a conditional statement such as:

<% if "$Lang" == "en" %>
   $Content
<& end_if %>

I get the error:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 137, Column 6:            <% if "en" == "en" %>
            ---------------------------------^

Is there a correct way to check for this?

Fuzz10

Community Member, 787 Posts

6 February 2009 at 9:26pm

Bad syntax....

Drop the quotes and the $

svinkle

Community Member, 16 Posts

7 February 2009 at 2:30am

I tried that as well. It produced a different kind of error.

I was able to find a solution by using parts of the [url=http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=recipes:multilingual_content]Multilingual Content[/url] recipe. I used two parts of step two. The first code block was used, I skipped the custom class "MultiLingual" entirely, and in the third block, I changed "$lang = MultiLingual::currentLang();" to "$lang = Translatable::current_lang();". The last step was to make sure my French custom field names ended in '_fr'.

From what I've found in my research here, it seems like quite a hack job to try and have a multilingual web site when it comes to custom fields in classes. Unless, of course, I'm doing something terribly wrong.

CriaturaCreativaStudio

Community Member, 73 Posts

20 June 2009 at 6:25am

Hello!

Is there a way to display custom includes evaluating the current language?
I find this very difficult to do, and since i'm not a programmer, all that i've tried was messing up the layout or giving me errors...

If anyone can post here a way to evaluate the language inside the .ss files to include another, that would be great !

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Eduardo

CriaturaCreativaStudio

Community Member, 73 Posts

23 June 2009 at 2:04am

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance!

Eduardo

ayyurek

Community Member, 41 Posts

15 September 2009 at 8:41am

Hi,

I am not a SS guru. Few weeks ago decided to build a site form my client with SS. I also needed this and with some try-and-see, found the solution.

<% if Locale == en_US %>
Here is the english text.
<% end_if %>

You can do this for other locales..