Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

Include an include file in an include file

5 Posts   4113 Views

michelle84

Community Member, 5 Posts

15 February 2009 at 8:11am

I hope you follow! I have a file in the Includes folder, named 'ImageBar.ss'.
In ImageBar.ss I want to randomly include one of the following files, also in the Includes-folder:
-ImageBar_Home_1.ss
-ImageBar_Home_2.ss
-ImageBar_Home_3.ss

I'm using the following code in ImageBar.ss:

<% if MenuTitle = Home %>
   <% include ImageBar_Home_$RandomNumber %>
<% end_if %>

(the random number comes from a function in code/Page.php).

However, this doesn't work. All that I see on the website is just the following in plain text:
<% include ImageBar_Home_3 %>
(and the number changes on each reload, since it's random).

My question is, is it even possible to include an file from the Includes folder from within an included file itself??

I hope someone can help me!!

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

15 February 2009 at 9:16pm

I doubt this is possible - normally within a code block (ie, between the percent symbols), your variables/methods don't use the dollar sign. For example, in the code <% if MenuTitle = Home %>, you don't include the dollar sign before MenuTitle. But, of course, if there was no dollar sign, sapphire would not know that RandomNumber is a variable.

However, this is probably a good thing. I imagine that random include pages would make is impossible to build a page cache properly.

What are you trying to do? If, for example, you want to include different images at random, it would be better to supply them from a method, rather than a template.

michelle84

Community Member, 5 Posts

16 February 2009 at 12:33am

Well, it does see the variable, $RandomNumber changes in a random number. But I guess including files in a page that is already included is indeed not possible. I'm just starting with Silverstripe :)

I'm not just trying to include a random image, but whole code snippets. I've got all kinds of different images and I'm trying to create 'imagemaps' for them by using divs and css. That's why I wanted to do it this way, because it's more than just an image.
But I'm going to try to do it a different way.

Thanks for your help!!

jcamenisch

Community Member, 6 Posts

27 March 2010 at 11:46am

Michelle84,

I know this is an old thread, and you've probably found your way around this need. However, after search for the answer to this very problem, and eventually finding a solution, I wanted to post this for the next wanderer that comes this way.

While effectively you can't pass a dynamic value like $RandomNumber to the include function, you can code a dynamic call like that in a controller. The secret is to create a blank widget and use renderWith to render it with the include file of your choice.

Here's some code using your scenario as an example:

In ImageBar.ss:

<% if MenuTitle = Home %>
$IncludeRandom(ImageBar_Home_)
<% end_if %>

Then write the Page_Controller->IncludeRandom function in Page.php:

class Page_Controller extends ContentController {
//...

function IncludeRandom($template) {
$widget = new Widget();
return $widget->currentPage()->renderWith($template.rand(1,3));
}

//...
}

Note: I've tested this concept, but not this exact code. Beware of typos.

Also note that you can leave out the ->currentPage() part if you don't need the included file to have access to the Page context. If it's a basically static html file (like a widget without data), that context doesn't matter. It does, however, provide the context you would expect for a normal include, which was preferred for my use.

jcamenisch

Community Member, 6 Posts

1 April 2010 at 3:45am

Hmm, I need to ammend that, as the widget is completely unnecessary. Director::get_current_page()->renderWith($template_list); will do the job just fine. So instead of the Page_Controller code above, you would simply use a one-line function like so:

class Page_Controller extends ContentController {
//...

function IncludeRandom($template) {
return Director::get_current_page()->renderWith($template.rand(1,3));
}

//...
}

This works on SilverStripe 2.4 beta. For pre-2.4 installations, you'll need to replace Director::get_current_page() with Director::currentPage(). This change from the current api is what kept me from discovering this approach before. I had tried it with currentPage(), but it just didn't do anything on my install.