Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Navigation question...

Go to End

3 Posts   1865 Views

ImacSS

Community Member, 35 Posts

20 March 2009 at 4:49am

I have a navigation menu setup as follows:

Root A
Sub A1
Sub A2
Sub A3
Sub A4
Sub A5

Root B
Sub B1
Sub B2
Sub B3

Root C
Sub C1
Sub C2
Sub C3
Sub C4

The "Root" menus run across the top, the "Sub" menus run down the left.
Client wanted the top "Sub" of each "Root" to be the landing page for each Root menu.
So if you clicked on the "Root A" link, it would take you to the same place as "Sub A1", and vice versa. Although clicking on any "Sub" below the first would take you to a unique page.

My problem is I am having difficulty in reproducing this navigation, so that it displays correctly within the CMS and the site, with the base page types provided.

If I make "Root A" a "Virtual Page" with the intent of having it link to the "Sub A1" page, then I cannot select "Sub A1" page as it no longer appears on the list (Apparently, only "Page" page types are allowed to have sub pages?).

If I change the page type of "Sub A1" to be a "Virtual Page" with the intent of linking it to the "Root A" content, then I cannot set a custom "Sub A1" title - as it just replicated the title given to "Root A".

Do I need to create a custom page type in order to achieve what I want here? Or am I missing something really obvious?

Appreciate any assistance anyone can give - thanks!

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

20 March 2009 at 10:53am

Edited: 20/03/2009 10:54am

I'd say your missing something really obvious :)

Try a redirector page, and set it to redirect to Sub A1 etc. That way you jsut click on the root page and it automatically redirects you to your chosen page.

Hope that helps

ImacSS

Community Member, 35 Posts

20 March 2009 at 12:02pm

Well...that does explain it I guess.

Appears I should have tried that - even though I discounted it as not possibly being the right answer.

I assumed that this would create a client side redirector for some bizzarre reason...haha, this makes a lot more sense now. :)

Thanks for setting me straight aram!