Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Horizontal scroll bar in IE7

Go to End

4 Posts   3374 Views

robcub

Community Member, 14 Posts

10 May 2009 at 10:31pm

Hi, I'm manipulating blackcandy to try to get a site to look how I want. http://www.mylocalmates.com

I have a problem in IE7 and IE8. There is a horizontal scroll bar indicating that the page is too wide to view in the browser.

This doesn't appear in IE6 or FF or Safari. I have tried commenting out my ie7.css and just about everything else but I can't seem to work out what's causing it.

Could anyone have a look and see what's happening?

Nivanka

Community Member, 400 Posts

11 May 2009 at 12:31am

there is a plugin for IE called IE Developer toolbar, it is something like firebug for firefox, but not that sophisticated. Anyway try to track it using that. Search in google for the tool

robcub

11 May 2009 at 3:26am

Thank you again, Nivanka, I wasn't aware there was a similar tool to Firebug for IE. This is great. Actually, I've got IE8 and IE Developer is included with it.

Unfortunately I still can't find the cause of this horizontal scroll bar. Qll the content seems to be contained by divs and the blue lines around them are never wider that the ie window. But I'll keep looking.

robcub

13 May 2009 at 6:13am

Somebody found the answer in the end.

The solution was to apply overflow on the main container and, because of a bug in IE showing clipped overflow if it has position, also apply position to it.

Added this to my css:
BgContainer {
position: relative;
overflow: hidden;
}