Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Problems rebuilding database

Go to End

6 Posts   4522 Views

dwainwillis

Community Member, 5 Posts

22 May 2009 at 8:55am

So I'm really new to SilverStripe and I'm sure my question is probably (hopefully) an easy one. I trying to work my way through the tutorials and unfortunately, I can't make my way past the first one. My problem is when I copy/paste the code for the HomePage.php file and save it into the "mysite/code/" directory it seems to break the site. I perform the database rebuild command "http://localhost:8888/dev/build?flush=1" (I'm using MAMP Pro on a Mac running OS X.5) and it seems to freeze up halfway through the creating database run. I'm not sure if there is a specific change I need to make to MAMP for SilverStripe to work properly. Below is the information displayed on the screen when performing the rebuild.
Building Database

Creating database tables

PageComment
SiteTree
Field SiteTree.ClassName: changed to enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','HomePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree' (from enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree')
Field SiteTree_Live.ClassName: changed to enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','HomePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree' (from enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree')
Field SiteTree_versions.ClassName: changed to enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','HomePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree' (from enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree')
Email_BounceRecord
QueuedEmail
File
Group
LoginAttempt
MemberPassword
Permission
Widget
WidgetArea
EditableCheckboxOption
EditableDropdownOption
EditableFormField
EditableRadioOption
SubmittedForm
SubmittedFormField
Page
GhostPage
ArticleHolder
ArticlePage

dwainwillis

22 May 2009 at 8:59am

Sorry, I forgot to mention that once I've attempted the rebuild, the site no longer works at all. I get a blank screen. I turned on the error reporting for PHP and it reports an T_sytax error on line 6. here is the code from the HomePage.php file.

<?php
/**
* Defines the HomePage page type
*/
class HomePage extends Page {
static $db = array(
);
static $has_one = array(
);
}
class HomePage_Controller extends Page_Controller {
   function init() {
   parent::init();
}
?>

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 May 2009 at 1:29pm

T_sytax error on line 6

And it was line 6 of HomePage.php? not Page.php?

dwainwillis

22 May 2009 at 2:02pm

Below is the output from the rebuild attempt: (below that is the actual HomePage.php code)

Environment Builder (formerly db/build)
http://localhost:8888/

dev→ build
Building Database

Creating database tables

PageComment
SiteTree
Field SiteTree.ClassName: changed to enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','HomePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree' (from enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree')
Field SiteTree_Live.ClassName: changed to enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','HomePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree' (from enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree')
Field SiteTree_versions.ClassName: changed to enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','HomePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree' (from enum('SiteTree','Page','GhostPage','ArticleHolder','ArticlePage','ErrorPage','RedirectorPage','VirtualPage','UserDefinedForm') character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci default 'SiteTree')
Email_BounceRecord
QueuedEmail
File
Group
LoginAttempt
MemberPassword
Permission
Widget
WidgetArea
EditableCheckboxOption
EditableDropdownOption
EditableFormField
EditableRadioOption
SubmittedForm
SubmittedFormField
Page
GhostPage
ArticleHolder
ArticlePage

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CLASS in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/silverstripe/SilverStripe-v2.3.1/mysite/code/HomePage.php on line 6

Here is the HomePage.php file:

<?php
/**
* Defines the HomePage page type
*/

class HomePage extends Page {
static $db = array(
);
static $has_one = array(
);

}

class HomePage_Controller extends Page_Controller {

}
?>

WildCat

Community Member, 1 Post

23 May 2009 at 6:06am

Hi There,

I just ran into this same error... at the same spot in the tutorial.

If you copy-and-pasted from the web tutorial, you probably picked up some extra hidden characters that php doesn't like. If you can, view the code in a text editor and display "invisibles". You'll see some extra characters, probably for carriage returns.

Go ahead and delete those.

If you aren't able to view the hidden characters, simply delete all blank lines in the code. That should also solve the problem.

I hope this helps.

dwainwillis

23 May 2009 at 6:15am

Thanks WildCat,
That's exactly what was going on. I deleted everything and re-wrote the code by hand and it worked instantly. Serves me right, for copying and pasting code! Sometimes the easy way isn't always the best. Thanks for the help!