Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Issue with menu levels

Go to End

3 Posts   3177 Views

fishe

Community Member, 42 Posts

11 July 2009 at 12:05pm

Hey

I have the following code in a Includes/Navigation.ss file:

<ul>
 	<% control Menu(1) %>	  
  		<li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title.XML page" class="$LinkingMode"><span>$MenuTitle.XML</span></a></li>

<% if Menu(2) %>
  		<ul id="Menu2">
		  	<% control Menu(2) %>
				<li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title.XML page" class="$LinkingMode"><span>$MenuTitle.XML</span></a></li>

<% end_control %>
 			</ul>
 		<% end_if %>

<% end_control %>
 </ul>

And the Page.ss simply does a: <% include Navigation %>

My problem is that the list output from Navigation.ss is not including the second level (i.e. Menu(2) ). However, there is a menu(2) existing for one of the top level menu items, and this is correctly outputted on that item's page (e.g. when I click that page - as in Layout/Page.ss there is output code similar to above to show the Menu(2) items and breadcrumbs etc.)

So basically, it will find/output menu(2) only when the page that actually has a menu(2) component is "active" - and not just on the homepage for example.

What could be going wrong here?

Thanks

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

11 July 2009 at 3:45pm

Menu(2) returns the menu for the current page, not the page within the loop.

Instead of doing the <% control Menu(2) %> inside the <% control Menu(1) %> you need to do <% control Children %> instead. To make sure the 2nd level is only shown when you are on that parent page or a child page of that you can wrap the <% control Children %> in a <% if LinkOrSection = section %> which will return true if you are on that page or a child of that page

fishe

Community Member, 42 Posts

14 July 2009 at 3:28pm

Thanks for the help will! :)