Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions

Conditional Sidebar <% if Menu(2) || Photo || SidebarContent %> doesn't work

Go to End

15 Posts   2084 Views

Samba Sam

20 August 2009 at 6:22am (Last edited: 24 August 2009 11:57am), Community Member, 85 Posts

Hi,
I am trying to get a sidebar to appear based on one of the following conditions:
There are child pages (i.e., Menu2 items), or a photo or content entered into the CMS sidebar tab, which I've added to the Page.php file.

I can get <% if Menu(2) %> and <% if Photo || SidebarContent %> to work on their own. But I get a parsing error if I combine them.
This is the code in my page.ss template. Any ideas?

<% if Menu(2) || Photo || SidebarContent %>
      <div id="ContentNarrow">   
         $Layout
      </div>
      <div id="SidebarR">
      <% if Menu(2) %>
         <% include Menu2 %>
      <% end_if %>
      <% if Photo || SidebarContent %>
         <% include SidebarStuff %>
      <% end_if %>   
      </div>

<% else %>
         $Layout
   <% end_if %>

Thanks,
Sam

Willr

20 August 2009 at 12:17pm (Last edited: 20 August 2009 12:18pm), Forum Moderator, 5511 Posts

I think you can only do 1 comparison. Eg if Menu(2) || Photo. I dont think the template parser supports more then that

You would have to write your own PHP function for it <% if ShowSidebar %>

.. mysite/code/Page.php

function ShowSidebar() {
return (.... your or statement) ? true : false;
}

Samba Sam

21 August 2009 at 11:06am (Last edited: 21 August 2009 11:49am), Community Member, 85 Posts

What would the "your or statement" in the brackets look like?

I've tried this...
function Sidebar() {
return ($this->Photo || $this->SidebarContent || $this->Menu(2)) ? true : false;
}

And a couple of other variations -- all giving errors.

Thanks,
Sam

Willr

21 August 2009 at 12:08pm Forum Moderator, 5511 Posts

What are the errors? That looks correct.

Samba Sam

22 August 2009 at 8:51am Community Member, 85 Posts

Actually, I was incorrect in that there is no error given in the code:
function Sidebar() {
return ($this->Photo || $this->SidebarContent || $this->Menu(2)) ? true : false;
}

It just that it always passes "true" even when there is no values for Photo, SidebarContent or Menu(2). As a result the sidebar div still appears on all pages.

Any more ideas?
Sam

Pigeon

22 August 2009 at 10:33am Community Member, 243 Posts

Hi HappySadhu,

I've had a similar problem when wanting to do certain things if there is no content. I found that the HTML editor adds <p></p> to the field if there was no input.

If your sidebar content is HTMLText (which i assume it is) it will be returning <p></p> (or even <p><span> </span></p>). So you need to get just the raw text from the HTML content.

Something like this should work

function Sidebar() {
return ($this->Photo || $this->SidebarContent->RAW() || $this->Menu(2)) ? true : false;
}

I'm not entirely sure if that syntax is correct, but you get the idea. If that doesn't work, a dirty way to do it is:

function Sidebar() {
return ($this->Photo || $this->SidebarContent == '<p></p>' || $this->Menu(2)) ? true : false;
}

Basically, you need to dig around and see what $this->SidebarContent is returning and then see if your checking the correct variable. Personally, i would do something like:

function Sidebar() {
return ($this->Photo || preg_replace('\s','',$this->SidebarContent->RAW()) || $this->Menu(2)) ? true : false;
}

Which simply removes all white space from the plain text version of the HTML content, this means that there must be text in the content.

Useful link: http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=htmltext

Hope that solves the issue.

Samba Sam

24 August 2009 at 11:54am Community Member, 85 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input so far,

So I am able to get the following to work.

function Sidebar() {
return ($this->Photo || preg_replace('@<[\/\!]*?[^<>]*?>@si','',$this->SidebarContent)) ? true : false;}

'@<[\/\!]*?[^<>]*?>@si' strips out all the html tags which leaves just the "raw" text, though $this->SidebarContent !== '<p></p>' works just as well. (The function $this->SidebarContent->RAW() was giving the error "Call to a member function RAW() on a non-object".)

However, I can't get $this->Menu(2) in the function to work properly as in:
return ($this->Photo || preg_replace('@<[\/\!]*?[^<>]*?>@si','',$this->SidebarContent) || $this->Menu(2)) ? true : false;}

$this->Menu(2), similar to issue with SidebarContent in my previous posting, is always passing true even when there is no Menu(2). I've tried doing preg_replace to strip out the html tags but that didn't make any difference.

Any more suggestions?

Sam

Willr

24 August 2009 at 1:06pm Forum Moderator, 5511 Posts

$this->SidebarContent->RAW() was giving the error "Call to a member function RAW() on a non-object"

To return the Text Object rather then just the data from SidebarContent you might want to try $this->obj('SidebarContent')->RAW()

Go to Top