Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

How to Make a Page a Sub-Page of More than One Parent Page?

5 Posts   1180 Views

ginger

Community Member, 9 Posts

24 August 2009 at 8:03am

I'm working on an encyclopedia-type of project and need some pages to be listed under more than one category. Is there a way to designate a page as a sub-page of more than one parent page?

schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

24 August 2009 at 8:14am

the silverstripe database structure won't allow more than one parent id for a page, but there are other possibilities:
- use 'VirtualPage' in the sitetree (i was having problems with this one in previous silverstripe versions, can't say wheter it's doing fine now)
- refactor your code using dataobjects (see the tutorials on this or just post here again in case you need further advice)
hth

ginger

24 August 2009 at 4:39pm

Thanks, I definitely need more advice. I haven't read the tutorial on dataobjects yet but I will.

How does the VirtualPage work for what I want to do?

schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

24 August 2009 at 8:13pm

i suppose you're using 'category' pages, such as 'food' and 'fruit'.
so for a page called 'apple', you might first create the page in the sitetree as a child of 'food', then you could switch to 'fruit' and create a virtualpage there, pointing to the 'apple' page created under 'food'. :-)

as for the dataobject approach, you should work through tutorial 5, but make sure you're already familiar with the concepts explained in the previous tutorials (except tutorial 4 maybe).

ginger

25 August 2009 at 4:27am

Hey, that's great. The VirtualPage option seems to be just fine. One question - will it create issues of duplicate content in search engines?