Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

Show first subpage?

6 Posts   2077 Views

Romeo

Community Member, 67 Posts

27 August 2009 at 4:14am

Simple requirement here...I have a News page which contains a number of NewsItem subpages. At the moment, when I go to the News page, I see a submenu displaying all the NewsItem titles. What I would like is to have the first one of these auto-selected and displayed on the page, as if the user has clicked the first item in the submenu. How would I do this?

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

27 August 2009 at 8:45am

Edited: 27/08/2009 8:46am

You could add a redirection to the index (default) method of news page:

function index() {
   // untested
   Director::redirect($this->Children()->First()->URLSegment);
}

Preferably though, you could push the response of that page instead (and avoid the redirect). Something like:

function index() {
   // untested
   $page = $this->Children()->First();
   return $this
      ->customise('Title' => $page->Title, 'Content' => $page->Content)
      ->renderWith(array());
}

Romeo

29 August 2009 at 3:08am

Great, thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a go and report back.

Romeo

29 August 2009 at 3:46am

Hmm, not quite there. The second method qives me the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /var/www/fsbi/mysite/code/SubpageHolder.php on line 15

SubpageHolder is the subclass of Page I used for this purpose.

The first method looks as if it should work but for the fact that it redirects to a subpage with the wrong URL, but this brings up another issue. Let's say my page is /news/ and I want it automatically directed to the first news article. Your first method is sending me to

/news/article1

Fair enough, that's probably how it should be, but the actual URL is /article1 (i.e., without the prefacing /news). Why this should be the case, I don't know, because article1 has been created in the CMS as a subpage of the news page. I would have thought the URL would be indicative of this, but it isn't. Is there a way to make it so?

Romeo

29 August 2009 at 4:23am

The answer is obvious to me now:

function index() {
    // untested
    $url=Director::baseURL().$this->Children()->First()->URLSegment;
    Director::redirect($url);
   }

Having done a bit of research I see that the question of nested URLs has been going on a long time now. Looking forward to 2.4!

Pike

Community Member, 42 Posts

3 January 2010 at 2:34am

Hi,

I don't know if it's good writen, but.

I want: if first menuitem Content is empty get Content of next menuitem (if exist), so solving for me was that code (overriding iindex() method in Page_Controller)

function index() {
if ( $this->ClassName == 'Page' &&
( empty( $this->Content ) || strlen( $this->Content ) < 6 ) && ( $children = $this->Children() )
) {
$url = Director::baseURL() . $this->Children()->First()->URLSegment;
Director::redirect($url);
}
else {
return $this->renderWith( array( $this->ClassName, 'Page' ) );
}
}

I hope that it helps to others.......