Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions

Opening page.ss file for mac/changes not showing up

5 Posts   1474 Views

jfuqua

29 September 2009 at 11:54am Community Member, 3 Posts

I am a noob with Silverstripe but decided it was the CMS for me after evaluating a number of options.

Now I am working through the tutorial and need to edit the page.ss file. Problem is, I'm mac. I was able to open on an old copy of GoLive once I changed the .ss to .html to make the code additions. I saved, uploaded it back, changed the file name back to page.ss, and then reloaded the page with ?flush=1 at the end of the url. My changes are not showing up.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

jfuqua

29 September 2009 at 3:03pm Community Member, 3 Posts

Edit: After a few attempts, the changes worked just fine.

I would still like to hear from other mac users as to the best way to edit. Thanks.

banal

29 September 2009 at 7:58pm Community Member, 901 Posts

Hi

I'm developing on a mac as well. I'm using eclipse, but if you never used it before, it might scare you a bit. There's an eclipse based IDE, specially designed for Web Developers called Aptana (http://aptana.com/) which might be worth a look. Also check out this wiki page for a list of possible editors:
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tools

zenmonkey

30 September 2009 at 11:22am Community Member, 528 Posts

I found Aptana's very un-mac-like interface infuriating. That and its clipboard handling is inconstant. Some data will copy and paste from/to certain apps while other doesn't. I just use Coda and MAMP, unfortunately Coda is't free. Its similar to SubEthaEdit which is much cheaper

karlevid

1 October 2009 at 1:56am Community Member, 10 Posts

Same here Coda and MAMP! Works great. eclipse was to tech for my taste. We are not all at your high-level "banal" ;)