Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

Opening page.ss file for mac/changes not showing up

5 Posts   1499 Views

jfuqua

Community Member, 3 Posts

29 September 2009 at 11:54am

I am a noob with Silverstripe but decided it was the CMS for me after evaluating a number of options.

Now I am working through the tutorial and need to edit the page.ss file. Problem is, I'm mac. I was able to open on an old copy of GoLive once I changed the .ss to .html to make the code additions. I saved, uploaded it back, changed the file name back to page.ss, and then reloaded the page with ?flush=1 at the end of the url. My changes are not showing up.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

jfuqua

Community Member, 3 Posts

29 September 2009 at 3:03pm

Edit: After a few attempts, the changes worked just fine.

I would still like to hear from other mac users as to the best way to edit. Thanks.

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

29 September 2009 at 7:58pm

Hi

I'm developing on a mac as well. I'm using eclipse, but if you never used it before, it might scare you a bit. There's an eclipse based IDE, specially designed for Web Developers called Aptana (http://aptana.com/) which might be worth a look. Also check out this wiki page for a list of possible editors:
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tools

zenmonkey

Community Member, 528 Posts

30 September 2009 at 11:22am

I found Aptana's very un-mac-like interface infuriating. That and its clipboard handling is inconstant. Some data will copy and paste from/to certain apps while other doesn't. I just use Coda and MAMP, unfortunately Coda is't free. Its similar to SubEthaEdit which is much cheaper

karlevid

Community Member, 10 Posts

1 October 2009 at 1:56am

Same here Coda and MAMP! Works great. eclipse was to tech for my taste. We are not all at your high-level "banal" ;)