Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Template Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Advice

Go to End

3 Posts   1350 Views

wayne25uk

Community Member, 2 Posts

13 November 2009 at 9:35am

I'm new to Silverstripe and heard great things about the ease of use of the cms and themeing language, so I've read through the tutorials and have a project I'm working on but am confused as to how best to approach the design I have (see attached) I'm wondering where best to start and welcome any advice, I can't seem to figure out how to make this page a template...

Attached Files
Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

13 November 2009 at 3:09pm

Wow that is quite a complex layout. I would suggest starting on an easier page if this is your first time using SS. Or you can jump into the deep end and try and tackle that.

When working on a layout like that you would break it down into parts and also work out which parts need to be editable in the cms and which parts are static.

I usually like to work from the top down as well so you would start by getting that main menu to function so that would involve creating pages in the CMS for each and building a menu control (as in tutorial 1). Then move down to the banner area - most of that would be good in the CMS so you would need to add fields to the cms for each (tutorial 2 covers adding fields).. And so on and so on. Its rather complex so just tackling it 1 step at a time helps make it seem easier.

wayne25uk

Community Member, 2 Posts

13 November 2009 at 3:47pm

thays great advice I also have 2 interior layouts that maybe a little simpler to start with, although is it easy to use more than one template?