Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Template Questions /

customise function

3 Posts   1656 Views

rainerh

Community Member, 23 Posts

19 November 2009 at 8:09am

Hello everybody,

as far as I understood the documentation the controller function customise should add variables that I can use in my template file. The tutorial describes this functionality in the context of a search. Now I want to use the customisation if a Page is displayed in general.
I thought I have to place that function into the controller's init method. For example to use "Testtitle" as variable I do:

class Page_Controller extends ContentController {
function init() {
parent::init();
return $this->customise(array('Testtitle' => 'hello world'));
}
}

Unfortunately that does not work. I know that the usual way to this is to create a new controller function Testtitle which retuns "hello world" but the real example is a little bit more complex than the one above and I have to use customise

Thanks in advance

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

19 November 2009 at 9:00am

I can't see the advantage of using customize. What is there that you can't do with writing a custom method for your needs?
Eg:

public function TestTitle(){
... do whatever the hell you want
return the result of above;
}

I think the method is more flexible and cleaner than customize

rainerh

Community Member, 23 Posts

19 November 2009 at 9:41am

I told you above that I don't want to discuss if it is better to use a simple function or not. My use case is similiar to that of the search use case mentioned in the tutorial. What I want is, if a particular Page type is viewed there should be some kind of search results with predefined keywords.