Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Menu with parent and child pages always showing

4 Posts   1952 Views

jloafs

Community Member, 15 Posts

23 January 2011 at 2:08pm

I'm a total SS newb and a graphic designer by trade so I'm a touch out of my depth – trying to pick it up as I go along.

I'm trying to build a site navigation that works like this example: http://www.everythingdesign.co.nz/test/la-cigale/

I need to have the Main pages and subpages always visible. I've been through the initial tutorials and got to the stage where I have a submenu appearing on the parent pages but I need to weave the two menus together and keep them visible.

The way I constructed the example menu above was to put each group of 'Main and sub menu' in a div of its own so that I could use the bottom border in css to seperate them. There may be a better way to do that too.

Can anybody help?
Cheers.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

23 January 2011 at 5:12pm

Could you post the code you've used for so far? If you want to whole submenu shown of each main level menu then you can do something like

<% control Menu(1) %>
<a href="$Link">$MenuTitle</a>
<% control Children %>
<a href="$Link">$MenuTitle</a>
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/reference/built-in-page-controls has all the information about the available controls.

jloafs

23 January 2011 at 7:34pm

Thanks Willr.

Definitely getting there with your code.

At the moment I've got:

<div id="left">
      <div class="menu">
<% control Menu(1) %>
<a class="menu bold" href="$Link">$MenuTitle</a>
<% control Children %>
<a class="menu" href="$Link">$MenuTitle</a>
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

</div>
</div>

I just need to organise each grouping into seperate divs somehow. Again, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

jloafs

23 January 2011 at 8:26pm

Actually, just got it.

Fantastic.

Thanks for your help.