Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Forum and Blog Module show no Content

5 Posts   1943 Views

pst

Community Member, 9 Posts

29 December 2008 at 8:37am

Hi,

for a new project I decided to use silverstripe. After the first steps worked great and I even managed to create a new skin in just a few hours of work I found that this was a good choice.

However I do have a little problem which I can't find a solution for. I tried all the tips from the forums but anyway my blog does not show any content when I use my own theme. If I switch to the blackcandy theme it works fine. So I suppose it must have something to do with my theme.

<div class="yui-g">
$Content
$Form
$PageComments
</div>

This is the actual part of the template Page.ss which is supposed to show the $Content. This works great for everything, except for the blog and the forum module. Did I miss anything? I checked with blackcandy and that is exactly what blackcandy Page.ss has.

I do use SilverStripe 2.3 from svn and the svn forum and blog module since I needed the subsites module. Since both forum and blog module work when I use blackcandy I suppose this can't be a problem.

Any ideas?

Nivanka

Community Member, 400 Posts

30 December 2008 at 12:46am

you might need sub themes to support the blog and the forum modules.

anyway try to flush the site and see

pst

30 December 2008 at 1:56am

I suppose by flush the site you mean add the ?flush=1 to the URL? If so, then I tried that a thousand times already.

What do you mean with subthemes? I tried to copy the blackcandy_blog theme to nameofmytheme_blog but that did not change anything. Do you have a link for me where I can find more information on subthemes?

pst

1 January 2009 at 3:30am

Just in case anybody else encounters the same problem as I did.

I had to do the $Layout subtemplate part describe in tutorial nr. 1. This way SilverStripe uses the template files provided with the blog and forum module. This might not be a perfect solution since both the forum and the blog do use own layout and design through provided templates and css. So I ended up overwriting most of the code anyway.

I did this by creating files with the same name inside my theme. Is that the right way or is there a better way of doing this? I am using the yui-grids layout framework for my theme. Is there any interest in a general theme using yui-grids?

joelg

Community Member, 129 Posts

17 February 2009 at 3:39am

Hi pst

Thanx, just what I was looking for. Must say it's really frustrating when you install the forums module using your own theme - cause nothing shows up and you havn't got a chance to know that you must write $Layout to get everything showing up. Strange!

However it worked. Thanx.

Joel