Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Editing the theme (newbie)

Go to End

4 Posts   7703 Views

Tigerpie

Community Member, 10 Posts

13 January 2009 at 3:11am

Gday,
I have just installed, WampServer and Silverstripe as well as a theme I downloaded from Silverstripe.

Everything is working and seems fine, but I was wondering the following.

1) Should I be editing the original downloaded theme files, which are now located in C:\wamp\www\SilverStripe\themes\Ablaze3
as an example, or should I be creating a site in C:\Wamp\MY NEW SITE and putting the theme in there?

2) I have tried to have a look around the website but cant find a tutorial on how to implement the forum or blog that comes with the theme I have downloaded..Ablaze2 http://demo.silverstripe.com/?theme=Ablaze2

The CMS part of SilverStrip seems nice and is a really nice setup but Im just stuck on how to implement different themes into different sites in the most efficient manner.

Cheers Guys

Nivanka

Community Member, 400 Posts

14 January 2009 at 6:55am

You dont have to duplicate the theme, and edit it in the mysite. All the theme must be in the themes folder, and you can edit any template, css, or javascript which is inside you themes directory (C:\wamp\www\SilverStripe\themes\Ablaze3 )

This tutorial will help you to build your themes.

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=themes:developing

Tigerpie

Community Member, 10 Posts

14 January 2009 at 12:20pm

Thanks for that Nivanka,
Still getting my head around the set up of Silverstripe though.

I have read a bit of the tutorial you put the link up for, as well as going through the initial tutorial.

What if i want to make 2 sites, based on a particular theme? Such as the ablaze3 theme?

I think i am begging to understand the concept of the root of the silverstripe folder and the themes directory, but i was hoping to work out how to use silverstripe to build more then one site at a time, using the same theme?

It doesnt seem to be as straight forward as when you use say dreamweaver and just have 2 site folders inside the www directory.
www/site1
www/site2

then you can load up each individual website in your browser.....can this be done with silverstrip?

Would i need to put the entire silverstripe directory as a "sub folder" of the websites root directory?
so something like
www/site1/silverstripe
www/site2/silverstripe

etc etc????????/

Nivanka

Community Member, 400 Posts

15 January 2009 at 1:09am

Hi,

Yes you can have two or many different SilverStripe installations on the same server, but for each and every installation you will need to have a separate database.

Or else you can use the multi site module.