Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

New Administration Themes

Go to End

8 Posts   5131 Views

4Design

Community Member, 1 Post

4 March 2009 at 11:34pm

Hi Guys

Great CMS! We want to create some administration themes for Silverstripe. What is the best way to go about implementing custom admin themes without interfering with your core and frequent updates?

I see a normal theme is called as SSViewer::set_theme('theme_name'); and themes in mysite/cms would potientially override themes in the theme folder. Is there a way we can modularly create a theme in the themes folder called lets say cms_admin and call this like the site theme itself only now for the cms?

If not what is the best way to override the admin themes without replacing your default admin theme. If there is no current way we will gladly create one.

Let me know.

Regards
J

PeterB

Community Member, 18 Posts

13 March 2009 at 9:42am

Likewise, I'd like to know the answer!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

13 March 2009 at 3:43pm

Im not fully sure it will work but for things like forum you can style it by overriding files with themes/yourtheme_forum/ so perhaps you can do a themes/yourtheme_cms/ folder and override the theme files?

The CSS paths are likely to be hardcoded to /cms/ so it might just require a slight tweak in that department

Community Member, 8 Posts

19 March 2010 at 9:05am

This is of interest too, it would be cool to make it dead simple. Eventually allowing for templates to be built and available for download.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

26 March 2010 at 5:43am

It's pretty easy. There's a whole chapter in the SS book on how to do it. Just override the templates and CSS.

jorrie

Community Member, 40 Posts

29 March 2010 at 7:25am

@UncleCheese

Im also interested in modifying the backend admin and overwriting the theme.

I saw there is /cms/css /cms/images /cms/templates all making up the admin backend.

Is it possible to copy all those files to say themes/cms_admin/ and let it overwrite?

you say its in the docs, but I could not find it, perhaps you can give an example of where to copy the files to achieve the wanted results? Thanks in advanche!

jorrie

Community Member, 40 Posts

29 March 2010 at 7:26am

As a sidenode

* How could I set my custom admin backend "theme" for a certain usergroup only * ?
Anyone can answer that question?

I would like endusers to see a simplified backend but use the full normal admin backend "theme" myself

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

20 July 2010 at 10:20pm

I think under mysite or under themes/mytheme_cms