Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Themes /

Discuss SilverStripe Themes.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Very new to webdesign and need help!

5 Posts   1487 Views

Kaitlinl

Community Member, 2 Posts

28 October 2009 at 3:44pm

Ok, so i've been pouring over every tutorial, forum, everything i could find but they're all still over my head.

all i want to do is transfer the website i designed in dreamweaver to silverstripe so that someone else can edit and maintain it easily. i guess that means making a new theme but i'm so confused at how to do this...

can someone please spell it all out to me as if i was a baby?? haha

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

28 October 2009 at 4:32pm

Have a read of the themes developing page, its probably more descriptive then anyone would post here. If you have further questions on that page please feel free to ask!

Kaitlinl

Community Member, 2 Posts

28 October 2009 at 5:46pm

yes that's one of the places i've checked. for some reason i'm still having trouble figuring it out.

for instance, when people say to "flush the cache," i don't know know where or how you insert that bit of code. little things like that that i'm unsure of. or when creating extra "page.ss" to create your theme, what the point is or how you do that to fit your own stuff. anytime i've tried it i end up screwing everything up.

i know i'm quite the noob but i've checked everywhere else and am simply overwhelmed and confused!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

28 October 2009 at 5:57pm

Tutorial 1 explains what flushing the cache is. Basically SS converts your templates into PHP code, this is then cached for performance. Sometimes when you want to make changes to those templates or if you want to add templates the wiki will refer to flush the cache which is the process of adding '?flush=1' to the end of the url in your webbrowser. You can also do ?flush=all.

So in your web browser and you are viewing your site with the url http://www.yoursite.com then you change the url to http://www.yoursite.com?flush=1 and hit enter to reload the page. This will flush the template cache.

Before you start building your custom theme perhaps go back and try the tutorials step by step and you might get the hang of it.

davidm2010

Community Member, 107 Posts

12 January 2010 at 3:33am

Here is how I've been using dreamweaver. It is not the best, but since it came with CS4 I thought I would use it. Using the includes at design time in DW, I added CSS layout (SS does an include as a aprt of the load, so you don't need to reference it on page.ss) I changed DW to treat all .ss pages as html. Create a sample html with some content so you can see how it will look (otherwise you have to push into SS and see what it looks like).

Once that is setup, I use DW to synchronize with my theme folder in SS and start hacking at my CSS styles. I would use an existing theme to get the folder structure and don't forget to change _mysite.php.