Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Migrating Windows, SilverStripe 2.4.2 and MySQL -> SQL Server?

Go to End

4 Posts   2890 Views

weareorganism

Community Member, 14 Posts

23 October 2010 at 1:53pm

A client of mine has decided to upgrade their server to Windows Server 2008 w/ IIS 7.5 . I have already set up the site on their old enviroment which was Server 2003 and IIS 6 using IIRF as an URL Rewriter.

I've noticed that the latest installation instructions for SilverStripe on Windows reference SQL Server instead of MySQL. Does anyone have any experience using the latest version of SilverStripe 2.4.2 with MySQL on Windows? Or conversely.. have any experience migrating a prior version of a SilverStripe database from MySQL to SQL Server?

Any thoughts on the best way to handle this migration? Should I stick with the MySQL database? Are there any special configuration directives I need to know to modify the current installer to set up the upgraded site to use MySQL?

Should I reinstall SilverStripe and move mysite, themes and any extensions/themes/modules over as-is or move the entire filesystem over?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

24 October 2010 at 12:48pm

Edited: 24/10/2010 12:52pm

You should be able to move the whole project directory over to the new server, and instead of using SQL Server, just install MySQL instead.

If you've already got the database in MySQL, there's no need to move to SQL Server, and it'll probably be headaches and more work to migrate MySQL databases to SQL Server anyway.

Cheers,
Sean

weareorganism

Community Member, 14 Posts

24 October 2010 at 12:58pm

Thanks Sean - will give it a go!

wilsonStaff

Community Member, 143 Posts

8 March 2012 at 4:30am

Sorry to hijack.

Sean, i have the exact opposite problem.

Weve started the site on IIs SQL and need to migrate to Apache mySQL.

Can someone successfully convert an SQL DB to mySQL DB?

If so, how to do that?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!