Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

advice about upgrading a complicated site

Go to End

3 Posts   2381 Views

danqxx

Community Member, 14 Posts

21 February 2011 at 12:14pm

Hi, so I have been going through the process of analyzing the difficulty of upgrading a site to a new version. I have found it very difficult identifying what versions of some modules are installed and also finding suitable documentation on some of the modules outlining what version of the core they are compatible with. any experienced advice would be much appreciated:

core 2.3.3 -> not sure (is it best to go to the latest? i couldn't tell if all my modules would work with 2.4???)

blog
cmsworkflow
dataobjectmanager
genericdataadmin
subsites
subsite_blog

also if a pro would give me an outline of how they would go about the test environment upgrade i would be very tyvm.
dan

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

21 February 2011 at 7:30pm

I have found it very difficult identifying what versions of some modules are installed and also finding suitable documentation on some of the modules outlining what version of the core they are compatible with.

This information should be on their module listing page. Module authors can select supported versions for what version. If you follow the discussion on the core dev mailing list you would have heard of the new module manager which is coming in SS3.0. It will fix this exact issue (but is a while off)

core 2.3.3 -> not sure (is it best to go to the latest? i couldn't tell if all my modules would work with 2.4???)

Upgrading to 2.3.* will definitely be easier then 2.4 but you may need to upgrade later on.

My best advice is to download a copy of the site to your local computer, upgrade each of those modules to their latest versions, upgrade your site code with the instructions http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/changelogs/2.4.0#upgrading.

It won't work 'out of the box' unless it's your lucky day but see what errors you get, most of the time they are easy fixes.

danqxx

Community Member, 14 Posts

23 February 2011 at 2:23pm

Hi Will, thanks for the prompt response. I could have made my post clearer cause I want to upgrade From 2.3.3 not to it. Anyway, I am following your advice and am at a stage where I am setting up my testing environment for upgrade. the site developer has used svn to manage all the modules used on the site and also the site files themselves (mysite, themes, etc). I noticed one of the modules was using a branch. should I continue using the branches or use the trunk?
thanks for the help,
Dan