Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Tinymce Upgrade with HTMLTextField problems in IE9


Reply


2 Posts   1518 Views

Avatar
midoriberlin

Community Member, 5 Posts

31 December 2011 at 4:56am

Edited: 31/12/2011 4:57am

Hello all,

I'm posting this here in the hopes of a) helping someone else who's run into this and b) trying to find a more elegant solution than the one I came up with myself.

In testing a Silverstripe application I'm working on I noticed that using HTMLTextField with Internet Explorer 9 is basically impossible as it stands. The core of my application relies on people being able to manage and upload text content through an editor (this seems like a fairly common core, non-negotiable piece of functionality for a lot of applications). Problems I was getting was the textarea becoming uneditable after content was put into it and automatically clearing on submit so that the form could never be completed. Showstoppers in other words.

Everything fine and dandy in IE8 but obviously anyone on a relatively new PC is going to be increasingly on 9 by default so it's something I have to accomodate. Started looking into fixes and things suddenly started looking very messy indeed. Options I considered:

i) Put new version of Tinymce in Sapphire - Easy enough to drop new files in there and seemed to work on frontend but butchered the admin, as several previous posters pointed out it might do.

ii) Make allowances for the various javascript erros IE9 triggers - This chap seemed to have worked through the various incompatibilities and documented the process at http://daveymorris.co.uk/web-development/tinymce-and-internet-explorer-9-fix-again/ but frankly that looked like a lot of work to go through.

iii) Quick and dirty - In the end I just went for forcing the browser to think it's actually IE8 by adding <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8" > to the head which I *think* seems to have fixed the problems.

So, the fix above (number iii) isn't by any means extensively tested and I have a nasty feeling it will screw something else up but it seems to be working for now. Seems very far from ideal though.

My main question is does anyone have a straightforward way of upgrading Tinymce without knocking out half the admin? If not, is there any date on when this might go into some version of core?

Loving Silverstripe to bits generally, massively appreciative of the framework and all the work that's gone into it but this really seems like something that will cause a lot of people problems and should be gotten to as soon as possible.

Found what seemed to be a good overview of the current situation here - http://www.silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/18560

I'd be interested if anyone has had similar problems and has tried similar or different solutions and how they got on.

All the best,

Andrew

Avatar
Futureweb

Community Member, 233 Posts

18 September 2012 at 11:46am

just a bit more info on this one...

IE9, win 7, 64bit, tinyMCE looses content when you save a form...

the tag <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8" /> needs be inserted into your template at the very top of <head> - if you have it lower down in the head area, it doesn't do anything...