Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Upgrading SilverStripe 2.x to 3.x

Go to End

12 Posts   7873 Views

mrcheeseburger

Community Member, 2 Posts

24 April 2012 at 1:02am

Can anyone give an indication if there will be a supported upgrade path for users with site on 2.x wanting to upgrade to 3.x
e.g. list of pre-reqs, upgrade scripts etc. module compatibility etc. etc....

I'd appreciate some information on this if there is anything on the radar expected in the not too distant future.

regards
MrC

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

24 April 2012 at 2:33am

mrcheesburger

there currently is no "supported" version to upgrade to, so there are no supported docs

however there is an extermely comprehensive amoutn of information on upgrading for the beta releases right here... http://doc.silverstripe.org/sapphire/en/trunk/changelogs/3.0.0

mrcheeseburger

Community Member, 2 Posts

24 April 2012 at 4:27am

Thanks Barry,

Thats really useful infomation and I had stumbled across that particular changelog.

Although this doesn't directly answer my question, let me rephrase it slightly....

Assuming we have reached a bona fide release candidate for 3.x later in the year, would there be an approved migration method published or are site owners going to have to go through the process of trawling changelogs to ensure they get 3.x to a fully working state post upgrade.
It would also be nice to have someone put together a module compatibility matrix for the most widely used standard modules available to download.

I appreciate your valuable feedback!

regards
MrC

swaiba

24 April 2012 at 4:44am

I think you might want to review the developer gogle group where most of the discussion is. For eaxmple one of the main projects for the GSOC is the module directory and how that can be handled in the future. Currently there is nothing that will address the module situation.

I'm suprised that the link didn't cover the upgrade stuff as it covers each upgrade within 2.x fairly well and then in the case of a 2.4.x to 3.0.0.beta it is so comprhensive I was really impressed. Ingo has mentioned several times that upgrading is going to be painless in the form of using modules to fill in depreciated/removed functinoality (even the CTF!) but it is still early days - I don't expect to address any of this fro about 6 months - probably 3.1.x - after it is extermely stable.

DsX

Community Member, 178 Posts

15 August 2012 at 3:45am

I am very interested in Upgrading to 3.. however as site development is not my primary job (done in what ever spare time I can find), I can't even attempt it until a 'final' upgrade path is outlined.

I eagerly await an official upgrade procedure.

Kereru

Community Member, 9 Posts

5 September 2012 at 11:12pm

I too am eagerly awaiting a documented upgrade procedure to go from 2.x to 3.x. My brain hurts from trying to figure it out without a clearly written set of docs.

Regards,
Chris

swaiba

5 September 2012 at 11:19pm

I take it that this doesn't cover it for you...

http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/trunk/changelogs/3.0.0

Kereru

Community Member, 9 Posts

6 September 2012 at 8:23am

No. I can modify the odd bit of PHP and can slowly muddle my way through many things, but my understanding of what is being talked about in the upgrade procedure linked above coupled with the extensive branches off to other areas makes it so that I will NEVER be able to upgrade that way.

It is more likely that I'll try to begin again from a fresh installation and try to manually copy/paste my blog entries across. A bit of a PITA, but it's the only way I can see to migrate forward.

The point is I that I use SS as a communications tool and I am no longer wearing a developer hat (and when I did it was for a totally different coding language). I'd like to be able to run a script which migrates from version to another and not be messing with replacing statements, variables and function calls. I suspect I am not the only SS user with this point of view.

Regards,
Chris

Go to Top