Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

rssFeed on 3.03

4 Posts   653 Views

cduff

Community Member, 5 Posts

9 February 2013 at 4:31am

I am attempting to upgrade my site from 2.4 to 3.03. I have everything working except the rss feeds. I am testing in a VM running LAMP. If i try my 2.4 site the rss feeds work. All I get from 3.03 is blank html page:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv=Content-Type></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

isDev=1 doesn't return anything in addition to that.

In order to test my rss code. I cleared out the database and did a fresh install of SS 3.03 and changed the Page.php adding this simplified version of my rss code:

function rss(){
$pages = Page::get()->limit(3);
$feed = new rssFeed(
$pages,
$this->Link() . "rss",
"Test Title"
);
$feed->outputToBrowser();
}

Going to the page/rss produces the same result as with my real information. Using php print, I have confirmed that $pages returns the pages and that $feed is created and I can pull information out of it manually. The failure seems to have something to do with the $feed->outputToBrowser().

Any ideas what might be wrong? Or, what I can test?

cduff

9 February 2013 at 5:03am

Update.

The rss function is not returning a blank html document, IE was inserting that. After testing with other browsers, it returns a totally blank page. isDev=1 still produces nothing.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

9 February 2013 at 3:05pm

You'll need to update $feed->outputToBrowser(); to return $feed->outputToBrowser();

http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/reference/rssfeed for documentation on creating an RSS feed.

cduff

12 February 2013 at 8:22am

Thank you very much. I can hardly believe I missed that.