Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Database too heavy for import

5 Posts   690 Views

rsilvajls

Community Member, 7 Posts

27 February 2013 at 9:26am

Hi, I am a SS newbie and I am trying to upgrade a site but I am stuck backing up the database. I am trying to bring my site back into my MAMP server but the database seems to be too large for import.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

_Vince

Community Member, 162 Posts

28 February 2013 at 10:32am

You've tried zipping up the database export file, right?

If that doesn't solve it, do you have a lot of versions of each page?

There's an SQL script somewhere that deletes the older versions of each page and this might reduce the size of the database somewhat. I can't google it now, but I remember it worked quite well.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

28 February 2013 at 8:58pm

You could spilt your database import file into multiple files.

johannes

Community Member, 20 Posts

1 March 2013 at 10:36am

Try using MySQL Workbench (http://www.mysql.de/products/workbench/), I never had problem even with 50MB DB dumps.

simon_w

Forum Moderator, 474 Posts

1 March 2013 at 7:22pm

Alternatively, you can just pipe the SQL dump directly into MySQL. I can't remember where MAMP keeps its binaries, but the command to run from Terminal will be something like:
/Applications/MAMP/.../bin/mysql -u root -p databasename < /path/to/file.sql

If the root MySQL user doesn't have a password, drop the -p and if the database hasn't been created but the sql file has a CREATE DATABASE line at the top, then you can drop the databasename.