Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Issues in moving SS website to local WampServer

Go to End

3 Posts   2080 Views

WittySmitty

Community Member, 4 Posts

30 April 2013 at 4:01pm

I am an amateur SilverStripe hack and I am in a mess.

Background: About three years ago, I put together a website for our church using SS (V2.3.4). It has served us well.
However, I did not upgrade the SS base code. It was working well and I did not have the time to improve the site.

A few days ago our web hosting company upgraded PHP to the latest verson (5.4) and our website went down hard. I suspect either the SS core and/or the and extensions clashed with PHP 5.4.

Since I do not know PHP, I decided to rebuild the site instead of fixing code I do not understand.

Attempt #1: I decided that starting a new SS build (V3.0.5). The new SS build works with a new DB and with my template. But when i link it to the existing Database, the site crashes (I believe the crash is a simple white screen with no error message - I may need to run it again, to record any error message). I cannot get to the original web content.

Attempt #2: I decided to pull the original website down to my laptop and run it local via WampServer. I can dial back the PHP to an older version. I have a generic SS V2,3,4 running in one folder. When I started the church website via WampServer, I got this error:
"[Warning] mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'sbtindyo_smitty'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"
So I suspect the SQL database is not copied to the local WampServer

Attempt #3: I exported the MySQL database from the original church website. However, Wampserver has a 2Mb limit on importing databases. As luck would have it, the database I have is 5.5Mb in size.

At this time all I want to do is to bring up the website one more time to copy the content to our new SS build. There has to be a better way.

I am open to any suggestions.

-WittySmitty

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

30 April 2013 at 10:51pm

I normally use http://www.heidisql.com/ to copy dbs locally on windows... it has an export feature that you can select a DB and it will duplicate the DB there (either server to localhost or reverse)

copernican

Community Member, 189 Posts

1 May 2013 at 12:33am

I believe the error "[Warning] mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'sbtindyo_smitty'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" means that you database config isn't setup properly. Open up the _config.php file in the mysite folder. You should see something that looks like

$databaseConfig = array(
            "type" => 'MySQLDatabase',
            "server" => 'localhost',
            "username" => 'db-username',
            "password" => 'db-password',
            "database" => 'db-name',
            "path" => '',
    );

You'll want to make sure the username, password, and database are all set correctly for your local wamp server.