Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

upgrade from 2.3.1

Go to End

2 Posts   1898 Views

mccarville

Community Member, 32 Posts

18 October 2013 at 2:21am

Hello all, I embarrassed to say I have a rather important site that is still running 2.3.1. Is there a clearly defined upgrade path from that version to 3 or 3.1?

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

18 October 2013 at 3:42pm

I can't officially comment, but I don't think there is path.

For the most part the structure/MVC stuff is much the same. A few redundant form fields. The amazing DataObjectManager module from UncleCheese is no longer needed as SS3 has enhanced Grid Fields at is core. But this means any where you're using DataObjectManager or ComplexTableFields you'll need to amend the code. Not a big one though.

SS3.1 changes public static $db variables to private static $db. Again not a biggie, just have to go through the code.

The biggest hurdle I've found is sorting out any dependencies on 3rd party stuff.

I'm a huge fan of the CLOC script. A Pearl script which Counts Lines Of Code = CLOC http://cloc.sourceforge.net/
Easy way to asses a big project and how much custom code you have to go through.