Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Upgrading SilverStripe /

Ask questions about upgrading SilverStripe to the latest version.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

502 Bad Gateway errors in admin

Go to End

3 Posts   3687 Views

Rory

Community Member, 5 Posts

21 January 2015 at 8:29pm

We've recently upgraded our SilverStripe site from 2.4 to 3.1 and installed the upgrade on a VPS.

The frontend appears fine, but when we log into the backend the page tree does not appear, but throws 'Bad Gateway' errors.

Looking at the AJAX URLs for these, they are:

/admin/pages/listview?locale=en_GB
/admin/pages/treeview?locale=en_GB

However, attempting to access other pages in the backend also results in Bad Gateway errors as well.

Reading up across the net people have suggested configuring nginx. We have PHP with Fast CGI enabled already. Any thoughts?

P.S. It may or may not be related, but strangely when we enable 'dev' mode, the admin user / password authentication does not seem to submit. It just repeatedly asks us for the username and password. We've triple-checked and it's correct what we provide it, so we've put the site into 'live' mode to access it, and now we're dealing with the Bad Gateway errors appearing in the backend.

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

22 January 2015 at 2:28am

I don't think this is a SilverStripe problem, live mode might hide the problem, but underneath It's probably still there, preventing you from logging in.

Googling shows lots of problems like this on nginx. Maybe this one might help? http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10003978/php-fpm-and-nginx-502-bad-gateway

You probably already seen everything, sorry I can't be of more help.

Rory

Community Member, 5 Posts

22 January 2015 at 11:26am

Hey martimiz,

Thanks for your reply. The Bad Gateway errors come and go in live mode - this morning they were gone. We are still unable to log in when enabled 'dev' mode.

Given the site is running on a VPS, perhaps this has something to do with it? I agree this is not a SilverStripe issue. We will continue to monitor closely and report back if we find anything, anyway.

In the meantime, I found this other post on the forums which may steer other members in the right direction:

http://www.silverstripe.org/community/forums/general-questions/show/24143

Thanks!