Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Can Widgets use $SiteConfig

4 Posts   719 Views

Matty Balaam

Community Member, 69 Posts

2 November 2011 at 5:04am

Edited: 02/11/2011 5:06am

Hi,

I'm making a simple widget to allow me to link to a page, with a simple description. This will only be on some pages.

To keep this in one area of the CMS so I can alter the text globally I have put the fields into CustomSiteConfig.

However, I can't get widgets to access the data using $SiteConfig.XX

If I put the same code directly into page.ss it works fine.

<?php

class CustomSiteConfig extends DataObjectDecorator {

function extraStatics() {
return array(

'db' => array(
'WidgetDescription => 'Text'
)
'has_one' => array(
'WidgetLink' => 'SiteTree'
)
);
}

public function updateCMSFields(FieldSet &$fields) {

$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Main", new TextField('WidgetDescription', 'Widget Description'));
$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Main', new TreeDropdownField("WidgetLinkID", "Widget Link", "SiteTree"));
}

}

Thank you for reading.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

4 November 2011 at 6:49pm

No I don't believe widgets can. They're encapsulated from the site from the looks of it.

If you want to access the SiteConfig you can add a function on your widget class that pulled it down

function SiteConfig() {
return SiteConfig::current_site_config();
}

Matty Balaam

Community Member, 69 Posts

4 November 2011 at 8:14pm

Thanks Willr, I had got around this by using DataObject::get_one("SiteConfig"). I like to do things the "right" way if possible, so are there advantages to using the code you've posted?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

5 November 2011 at 11:39am

Checkout the code and you'll get a sense of what extra things it does (why you you should use it!)

https://github.com/silverstripe/sapphire/blob/2.4/core/model/SiteConfig.php#L153