Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Video for all devices

Go to End

3 Posts   2768 Views

debtfreeslave

Community Member, 13 Posts

18 July 2012 at 8:35pm

Hi

Hope someone can help. I need to include video for all devices on my website. That means it should work on all devices mac pc phone etc. I am using JWPlayer 5.7 with SilverStripe 2.3.7. I think I need to get the Videos in MP4 format to work on all devices does anyone know if I'm correct.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Gem

lerni

Community Member, 81 Posts

19 July 2012 at 9:53am

hi gem

AFAIK h.264 works but in chrome for example it'll use flash with mp4 (http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/html-video-codec-support-in-chrome.html). to support html5-video on all major browser you have to make 3 video files: H.264 / MP4 (.mp4), VP8 / WebM (.webm), Ogg Theora (.ogv). a mayor pain about html5-video but as soon you made all 3 viedo-formats JW-Player does a nice job with html5 video and falls back to flash if nothing else works.

lukas

debtfreeslave

Community Member, 13 Posts

19 July 2012 at 10:55pm

Hi Lerni,

Thanks for your reply. What's confusing me is do i actually need to be using HTML 5 (SS 2.3.7 doesn't support it) or will JWPlayer take care of that for me so long as i supply the correct formats. if yes how do i embed the videos:

<script type='text/javascript' src='/jwplayer/jwplayer.js'></script>

<div id='mediaplayer'></div>

<script type="text/javascript">
jwplayer('mediaplayer').setup({
'id': 'playerID',
'width': '480',
'height': '270',
'file': '/videos/bunny.mp4',
'image': '/thumbs/bunny.jpg',
'modes': [
{type: 'html5'},
{type: 'flash', src: 'player.swf'},
{type: 'download'}
]
});
</script>

This is just deleted by tiny MCE when i save it even though I have made the extended entities in the config file accept java
Help I'm stuck

Thanks in advance
Gemma