Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Widgets /

Discuss SilverStripe Widgets.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

IE 6 Detection widget

Go to End

5 Posts   4712 Views

(deleted)

Community Member, 473 Posts

23 February 2009 at 5:18pm

I have released a widget that detects if a user is running IE 6 or earlier, and displays a customisable message warning them that the site may not display properly and that they should upgrade.

It also has an optional JavaScript alert box that can display along with the widget.

Download from here.

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

25 February 2009 at 4:52am

Surely you should just be making sure that your site does display properly in IE6 ;)

I guess you could use it to say "I just want you to know that I went through hell to make this site work for you and your ancient browser. I and every other web developer would really appreciate it if you made the effort to update your viewing platform at intervals shorter than 9 years. Thanks"

Jokes aside though, with up to 40% of web users still using IE6 (and many of them not out of choice) it seems a little premature to start taking a stand. And if any site ever pops up an alert that is not absolutely essential I would usually just leave. That might be just me though :)

Nivanka

Community Member, 400 Posts

25 February 2009 at 7:31pm

a little addition Aram, just make the popup a select box, and add a button called "Update now" on which when someone clicks he / she will be pointed out to the IE 7 downloading page ;)

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

25 February 2009 at 8:14pm

..or the FF3 download page :)

A resource for web developers:

http://canistopsupportingie6yet.com/

grilldan

Community Member, 135 Posts

25 February 2009 at 8:51pm

I miss my buddies at savethedevelopers.org.