5407 Posts in 1647 Topics by 1187 members
|Go to End|
12 March 2013 at 5:49am Last edited: 12 March 2013 5:55am
I tried to find an official place for posting basic CMS feature requests, but couldn’t find one, so I’m sorry if this is the wrong place.
I have begun developing in 3.0.5 recently and there are a few things from version 2.4.7 that I wish to see incorporated into the new version.
1. The color-coding of the pages in the site tree was very useful in 2.4.7. One of my jobs is to train our clients in the use of the CMS and being able to have a really obvious visual clue about the status of each page is important to the CMS user. At the moment, all the pages are the same color regardless of their status, and since the page tree column is not expandable in page edit mode, you can’t see the little labels that show up to the right of the pages (and there doesn't seem to be any kind of label for pages that are hidden). Which brings me to item 2:
2. It would be great if the page tree column could be widened when in page edit mode (just like in the old version) so that you can see the whole names of the pages and any labels they have regarding their status. Not being able to stretch it wider to see the names or labels means that you have to click the Pages tab on the side and leave the editor mode, and then choose another page to edit. It would be best to eliminate the extra clicks.
3. One of the things I appreciated in 2.4.7 was the fact that the first time you named a page, the navigation label would automatically update to match, but after that, a change to the page name would not affect the navigation label. We use the page name for the H1 of our pages (HTML4) and we often want the page name to be longer than the navigation label. It is frustrating to have the navigation label automatically update to match every time you edit the page name. You then have to remember what you had in the navigation label and enter it again.
4. Since we are mostly choosing images when using an upload field, it would be great if the interface for choosing from files already in the site would show thumbnails of the images available. It seems counter-intuitive to have an image field force you to choose by filename and not thumbnail. For times when you were just choosing a PDF or other document, the thumbnail could just be an icon for that file type.
5. In 2.4.7, when you right-clicked on pages in the tree, you could choose to duplicate a page or a page and its children. Now, that contextual menu only offers to let you edit the page you clicked or to add a child page under it. Being able to duplicate pages was an important feature in 2.4.7 that I hope to see added next to the items that are in the contextual menu, so that you could edit the page, duplicate the page, duplicate the page and its children, or add a new page.
16 March 2013 at 4:59am
All feature / issues should be raised on http://open.silverstripe.org/ I believe.
I am sure that you are more likely to get attention of developers there (the forum isn't read often by silverstripe devs I think).
From my own point of view the duplicate should have been removed (note I'm still a 2.4.x user) as it had some nasty side effects when later edits were made - it keep the pages linked instead of just "creating a duplicate". But just my 2 cents there!
20 March 2013 at 8:44pm
5. Has been readded for the next 3.1 release.
20 March 2013 at 8:54pm
I hope it only clones/duplicates this time instead of maintaining a relationship behind the scenes. This was very annoying behave and confused our clients quite a bit so it was removed.
22 November 2013 at 10:12pm
Sorry to hijack a topic, but a question about feature requests: I've got a couple of small things in mind I'd like to present for the community. http://open.silverstripe.org/ advised to Github, but on http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/trunk/misc/contributing/issues there's a big red box asking to use forums or groups or IRC.
So, should I just post a new forum topic or what? Where in the forums?
25 November 2013 at 9:02pm
@jp-ff you could post to any of the forums (pick one that is roughly related to your question). If they're small minor things that you've fixed, push the changes to github and the core developers can review.
|Go to Top|