4938 Posts in 16594 Topics by 1490 members
|Go to End|
25 May 2013 at 9:22am Last edited: 26 May 2013 12:45am
I have tried to install SilverStripe v3.0.5 on a NetRegistry domain and can't access the CMS page once the install has completed. I got a few warnings when trying to install including -
fileinfo support - fileinfo should be enbled in PHP;
magic_quotes_gpc option - magic_quotes_gpc is set to '1' in php.ini and
URM rewriting support - you need mod_rewrite to use friendly URL's with SilverStripe
but proceeded anyway and the install seemed to work. I then deleted in the installation files and got to the "Your Site Name" page (http://www.xxxxxxxx.com.au/index.php/) but when I clicked on the link to "you can edit this page by opening the CMS" I get a Page not found on http://www.xxxxxxxxx.com.au/admin/install.php
I've run the install twice with the same result.
As mentioned the webhost is NetRegistry and I'm wondering whether it is because the files are installed in a directory called "public_html" rather than the root directory. I note in the forum others have had trouble installing SilverStripe on NetRegistry and it isn't well supported. I'm very new to this so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Another thought on why this is happening is that I FTP'ed the site I had built locally to the webhost rather than just uploading the SilverStripe content and then uploading my particularly pages. I've only done this once before and can't remember how I'm supposed to upload the site and get it running.
My fault - I discovered that by uploading and extracting SilverStripe to the public_html folder rather than coping all files from my local machine (C:\wamp\www\silverstripe) that the install worked correctly and I could access the CMS on the server. My fault entirely. I was just confused since the webhost I have previously used supported SilverStripe and thus I could install it from within the site.
31 May 2013 at 2:11pm Last edited: 31 May 2013 2:41pm
glad to hear you solved the issue you were having. I am also VERY new to this. I am also looking at NetRegistry for the hosting (Australian based company).
Can i please ask what package you purchased from them?
Can i also ask, you mention in you post above c:\wamp... i am assuming you installed silverstripe using the process described here http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/installation/windows-wamp (also in the video on this site http://www.synergycc.com/intro-how-to-use-silverstripe-content-management-system/) as opposed to the iis setup on the silverstripe site http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/installation/windows-manual-iis-7?
2 June 2013 at 4:46pm
Hello Mikkaat, sorry for the slow reply. I believe the client purchased the NetRegistry Basic cPanel Hosting package at $7.95/month.
You are correct in that I installed WAMP on my local machine. The process I followed was as follows:
- Followed the instructions in the install video at http://vimeo.com/16842606
- Downloaded WAMP server from http://www.wampserver.com/en/download - need to choose 32 bit or 64 bit version.
- Downloaded “Option 1: Download & install yourself” from http://www.silverstripe.org/stable-download/ I used the Windows zipped version rather than the main version which requires WinZip to unpack it. Once downloaded unzip it. Then copy the directory to the Wamp directory C:\wamp\www and rename it simply “silverstripe”.
- Opened a web browsers and type in “localhost/silverstripe. You will have to add in a couple of bits to get Silverstripe to run i.e. your email address and password.
That should get it running locally, then you need to get it up and running on your webhosting site.
I have now set up three websites (mine and two others). The first two took forever to get through the process of installing SilverStripe but the third one I had up within a few hours due to me knowing the install process better. One site is hosted be GoDaddy, which was easier as they provide the application on their site where as with NetRegistry I had to upload SilverStripe using an FTP Client (FileZilla) and then install it. Since SilverStripe isn't supported by NetRegistry it makes it a bit harder but they are easy to get on the phone and in my experience they have the applications needed i.e. PHP, MySQL etc.
The process of getting SilverStripe installed with your webhosting company is roughly as follows:
- Login to CPanel on NetRegistry and create a MySQL database using the Wizard noting the Database Name, Username and Password. The Database Configuration is the bit in the SilverStripe install that always tricks me up. The Database server is "localhost" and then Database Name, Username and Password.
- In my experience you will get a few warnings during the SilverStripe install (fileinfo support, magic quotes gpc option, URL rewriting support) but you can ignore them and once you have the database configuration correct and your CMS admin account email address and password it will install.
Post back if this isn't clear. Good luck
2 June 2013 at 8:25pm
Thank you for the reply, I am actually glad you put in so much detail, even though you didn't have to.
I will definitely be giving it a shot on the netregistry hosting first, and if thats too much trouble (iv had issues with their technical support in the past), i will look into GoDaddy.
Thank you again for the reply and all the info contained.
|Go to Top|