Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Userforms, MX records and Office365

Go to End

6 Posts   1947 Views

bones

Community Member, 110 Posts

21 July 2015 at 12:10am

I'm having issues with email delivery from the Userforms module, which hopefully someone can help me with.

My client has provided their own web hosting, with their email being handled by Office365. The MX records on their web hosting have been updated accordingly. However, emails from Userforms are not coming through. Their web host is saying that the website needs to send via Office365 (can Userforms even do this?)

Is there a workaround to get Userforms to use Office365 to process email? I had thought that, even though the MX records have been set, we could still send emails (but replies would obviously be routed to Office365).

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Pyromanik

Community Member, 419 Posts

21 July 2015 at 3:45am

Edited: 21/07/2015 3:46am

MX records have nothing to do with _sending_ emails, they simply direct them where to go when they come /in/.

Office365 is denying the emails as they're (probably) configured to send from the same domain as the website.
Office 365 controls this email. Office365 knows it did not send these emails. Office365 then rejects them. As will any other email client bothered to validate the sender.

I believe it's simply adding (or modifying) an SPF record on your domain.
Look at your website's mail error log, it will list the bounces. With a proper error you can google the fix easily if the above is not the answer.

bones

21 July 2015 at 5:49am

Many thanks for your reply.
So, am I correct in thinking that the whole "Office365" thing is irrelevant? (Of course, any reply to an emails would go to Office365, but that's fine)

Pyromanik

Community Member, 419 Posts

21 July 2015 at 10:26pm

No. It is relevant.

I was just trying to clarify your understanding of email, but it looks like I've confused you more. Read the link I supplied and hopefully that will be your answer.

bones

21 July 2015 at 10:35pm

Thank you for your clarification. I'm very grateful for your patience with me :)

So, do the SPF records need to be updated on the web hosting, or on Office365? The hosting company is saying that because they have no email accounts configured on their server, the userforms should be configured to use the remote mail server. Adding an email account to the hosting doesn't seem to make any difference.

samjarvis

Community Member, 1 Post

22 December 2015 at 5:33am

To anyone still having this problem, you can use an SMTP Mailer module to send via Office365 quite easily instead of using the built in PHP mailer.

I'd set up the necessary DNS for this (single SPF record allowing mail from our IP) and Office 365 just wouldn't accept email from the PHP mailer. Looks like Office 365 won't take email that's made to look like it comes from the domain set up in their MX record.