Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Expanded scope of workflow module?

Go to End

2 Posts   1827 Views

Judge

Community Member, 79 Posts

2 April 2010 at 3:37am

Edited: 02/04/2010 3:41am

I am just wondering how flexible the workflow module is for custom workflow?

Reading the documentation, it seems to be geared around two- or three-step authorisation of content. Workflow can go way beyond that, with records going through many stages and states and sub-states.

Taking a simple case of a sales order: an order my need to be authorised by the client, checked by the finance manager, put into a queue for stock to be picked, put into a queue for packing, checked, shipped, tracked, and finally closed. Each stage could be handled by different groups of people. At each stage, only certain actions can be performed, so that the packer can only tick the items that they have packed, the authoriser can only authorise or reject, and not change anything on the order, etc.

Is the workflow module suitable for that kind of process? I'm actually wanting to implement something much more complicated than this, but the sales order example above should give a flavour for the kind of process I am thinking of. I guess it could be described as N-step workflow..?

-- Jason

Judge

Community Member, 79 Posts

12 May 2010 at 10:01am

Edited: 12/05/2010 8:46pm

Ah, okay. I guess it was the name of the module "workflow" that left me thinking more generically beyond its intended scope.

Maybe there will be scope for a future "workflowengine" module to handle the actual workflow actions, while article authorisation would be just one of many plugins to that module. We have a great module to start with anyway :-)

Thanks,

-- Jason