I'm not sure if this is the correct board, if not, please move to the correct one :-)
I'm here to announce that I'm starting on the integration of Magento (an E-commerce solution) into silverstripe.
I noticed that the current E-commerce module isn't as extensive as Magento, thus I felt the need for an integration with magento.
I'm calling it Magss (for MAGentoSilverStripe)
This task will follow roughly the following steps:
1. orientation -> compare Magento and Silverstripe architecture
compare the database structures, see how stuff is stored. see how addons are added, how we can keep the flexibility of both while unifying some aspects that come with integration
2. implementation plan -> draw a list of tasks to make a succesful integration
important issue is how to integrate. How to structure directories, and whether or not it cares which of the two you install first.
3. user integration -> I figure that easiest start is to get a unified user system
Integrate the user tables so that when users register, they register for both systems. There should be some tool for transfering users. Note: this might be a good moment also to release some kind of installation guide.
4. front-end integration -> get front-ends integrated
5. back-end integration -> get back-ends integrated.
I'll be posting shortly on any follow ups, and files :-)
any help is apreciated :-)
edit:// Google Code project is created: http://code.google.com/p/magss/