Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

UserForms - Need to Output Form Submissions as XML

Go to End

5 Posts   2064 Views

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

8 March 2011 at 10:53am

Hi,

I need to output the contents of the SubmittedFormField table as XML so that an external system can parse it. However, I don't seem to be able to write XML tags out in the template because I'm declaring the document type as XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 

...and the browser is seeing

<% control OutputXML %>

as malformed XML tags. I'm thinking there's probably some sort of built in method to do this in Silverstripe? I'll also need to customize the tags that go around the name/value pairs in the SubmittedFormField table. How do you output XML to the front end in SS?

Thanks,
Garrett

mi3ll

Community Member, 24 Posts

8 March 2011 at 1:32pm

I haven't worked with XML very much, but I think you should look at the Silverstripe Google Sitemaps module (comes with the default installation, or check it online here: https://github.com/silverstripe-labs/silverstripe-googlesitemaps)

That module can give you a basic guide on how you can output XML on front end (sorry if its not much help...)

Garrett

9 March 2011 at 4:43am

Yeah thanks but not really much help. @Willr, the main problem I am having is that each FIELD is a different record rather than each SUBMISSION being a different record. Regardless of whether I return it to the browser as a DataObjectSet somehow XML-ized or whether I return it as a string, there is no way for me to specify a new ID in the code each time I reach a new submission in the recordset. See below for example:

I can do:

<Id>1</Id>
     <First-Name>Garrett</First-Name>
     <Last-Name>Fisher</Last-Name>
     <Id>2</Id>
     <First-Name>Daniel</First-Name>
     <Last-Name>Geske</Last-Name>

But what I need to do is:

<form-result id="1">
     <First-Name>Garrett</First-Name>
     <Last-Name>Fisher</Last-Name>
</form-result>
<form-result id="2">
     <First-Name>Daniel</First-Name>
     <Last-Name>Geske</Last-Name>
</form-result>

@Willr -- How can I send these submission to the front end with each ParentID an individual record instead of each Field? How is this done in HTML in the the Reports tab in Userforms?

Thanks,
Garrett

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 March 2011 at 10:12pm

@Willr, the main problem I am having is that each FIELD is a different record rather than each SUBMISSION

Well yes, the module has to store each answer as it's own object since the number of submissions changes based on a form. If you want a unique ID for the XML then you can use the SubmittedForm ID. That will be unique and each field will have one.

Garrett

10 March 2011 at 3:20am

Thanks @willr. Ok, I see now why you've modeled the data in this way - in order to turn it "on its side," as it were, you'd have to know how many fields the user added to the form. So I am getting my resultset like this:

SELECT SFF.ParentID, SFF.Title, SFF.Value, EFF.XMLExportTagName AS TagName FROM SubmittedFormField SFF
JOIN SubmittedForm SF ON SFF.ParentID = SF.ID
JOIN EditableFormField EFF ON SFF.Name = EFF.Name
ORDER BY SFF.ParentID ASC

And I'll just have to shuffle them around in PHP. Thanks again for your help.