Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Nested Module folders?

Go to End

3 Posts   1436 Views

dizzystuff

Community Member, 94 Posts

8 March 2012 at 2:17pm

Edited: 09/03/2012 7:24am

Hey All, quick question - are there any untoward consequences of nesting modules? That is, placing several related modules into one folder in the project root?

-- these_modules
-- module_1
- code
- _config.php
-- module_2
- code
- _config.php
-- other_module_a
-- other_module_b
-- sapphire
-- cms
-- etc

I've got a reason I'm happy with to consider doing this, so i'd rather not go into too much convo about the pros or cons - I'm just wondering if there would be consequences I haven't considered and would appreciate the advice.

Cheers

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

9 March 2012 at 7:28am

I do this, there is an old thread where both Unclecheese adn Willr strongly disagreed with me - but I dind't listen and am actually happy with the way things have turned out.

The problems are that

1) many modules have hardcoded links expecting certain things in certain folders - these need updating
2) the items in the _config.php need to be at the one up from root level to be interpreted properly
3) both of the above mean upgrading is tough

My view is that I am happy to do update hardcoded links for (1) and consolodate the (2) into one config and (3) I am happy to avoid because I only every do this for small modules (e.g. grouped CMS menus, various multi selects, etc). In a case like user form I do have the full module at root level.

Hope this helps.

dizzystuff

Community Member, 94 Posts

7 April 2012 at 1:37pm

Hey swaiba

Thanks for your response - it's exactly what I was after. I'm only using this for a few small modules too and you've made the trade-offs very clear for me.

Thanks!