Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Sphinx module: [User Notice] Could not stop sphinx searchd

Go to End

2 Posts   2335 Views

jere

Community Member, 8 Posts

10 July 2012 at 9:19am

Hi, this is my first post on this forum...

I'm upgrading a fairly large site from SS 2.4 to 2.4.7. The upgrade is on a dev server with latest ubuntu (12.04) and latest sphinx (2.0.4). I'm having real trouble getting the SS Sphinx module installed; running dev/build gets as far as creating database records for Page (which is decorated with sphinx) then throws the following error:

[User Notice] Could not stop sphinx searchd
GET /dev/build?flush=1
Line 348 in (path-to-root)/sphinx/code/Sphinx.php

Visiting /Sphinx/stop in a browser also gives the same error.

Visiting /Sphinx/reindex in a browser gives the following error:

ERROR

Sphinx 2.0.4-release (r3135)
Copyright (c) 2001-2012, Andrew Aksyonoff
Copyright (c) 2008-2012, Sphinx Technologies Inc (http://sphinxsearch.com)

using config file '/var/www/(root-directory)/silverstripe-cache/sphinx/sphinx.conf'...
WARNING: failed to scanf pid from pid_file '/var/www/(root-directory)/silverstripe-cache/sphinx/searchd.pid'.
indexing index 'Page'...
ERROR: index 'Page': xmlpipe: expected '<document>', got 'ERROR [User Error]: Uncaught Exception: Object->__call(): the m'.
total 0 docs, 0 bytes
total 0.001 sec, 0 bytes/sec, 0.00 docs/sec

and so-on for every sub-class of Page

Sphinx module is working fine on the live site, which is on an older version of ubuntu and sphinx 0.9.

I'm at a loss to figure this out. Has anyone else had experience/advice around this? I'd be really grateful for any pointers.

jere

Community Member, 8 Posts

25 July 2012 at 11:42am

Update: I've decided to drop Sphinx entirely and go for Google Site Search instead, which seems to be a much better option; takes the load off our server for running searches and the search parameters are easy to refine and customize. Also really fast.