Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

cwsoft-foldergallery - image gallery for SilverStripe 3

Go to End

87 Posts   30019 Views

cwsoft

Community Member, 57 Posts

30 August 2012 at 9:06am

Edited: 05/10/2013 11:37pm

Hi,

cwsoft-foldergallery is a light weight, simple to use folder based image gallery module for the CMS SilverStripe 3 which enables you to setup small to medium image galleries with ease.

The following features are included:
- images displayed from SilverStripe assets folder (upload via Ftp or SilverStripe files & media section)
- automatic thumbnail creation of album cover images, album pictures and the ColorBox preview images
- automatic album and image pagination (number of albums/images per pages configurable via "_config.php")
- image description built from image filenames (e.g. "001-your-description.jpg" --> "Your description")
- image order configurable (sort by: Filename, Creation, LastEdited, EXIF date, order ASC/DESC)
- multiple albums support included (organized via subfolders)
- image gallery appearance customizable via template and CSS files
- multilingual support included (actual: Dutch, English, French and German)

Further details, screenshots and download is provided via GitHub:
https://github.com/cwsoft/silverstripe-cwsoft-foldergallery#readme

Feedback welcome.

Cheers cwsoft

PLEASE NOTE:
The cwsoft-foldergallery module exists for all the three main SilverStripe series: 2.4.x, 3.0.x and 3.1.x

cwsoft

16 September 2012 at 11:17pm

Edited: 16/09/2012 11:19pm

Hi,

just released cwsoft-foldergallery v2.2.0 at GitHub.

Updates since last version:
- added pagination for album and image views
- albums/images displayed per page can be defined in _config.php
- updated 3rd party packages jQuery and ColorBox to latest versions available

Details and download via GitHub.
https://github.com/cwsoft/silverstripe-cwsoft-foldergallery#readme

Feedback welcome.

Cheers cwsoft

Kereru

Community Member, 9 Posts

29 September 2012 at 9:36pm

Edited: 29/09/2012 9:40pm

Thanks for taking the time to release this. So far it looks like it will answer a good portion of my needs for a gallery tool!

One thing I'd like is to have the thumbnails not be stretched. I've found that by removing the height component of the CSS that the thumbnails aren't stretched, but the portrait oriented images are rendered as square. Ideally I'd like the thumbnails to all be the same shape and just show a cropped portion of the image without the stretching. Is this something which might be addressed in future versions?

Cheers,
Chris

EDIT: I've found that by modifying the createThumbnail.ss file to only have "$CroppedImage(150,150)" that I get what I was after. :)

Lexandclo

Community Member, 55 Posts

1 October 2012 at 8:33am

Hi

First off, great mod cwsoft.

Any idea how I call the latest five albums to the homepage ..

Thanks in advance

Darren

cwsoft

2 October 2012 at 10:49pm

@Kereru: great you found yourself what you was after. As my images are normally quite big in dimensions, I haven't run into those issues yet. Will put it on my list for future updates

@Dazman1: If I got you right, you want to display the last 5 albums on another page than a gallery page right? Due to the actual architecture of this module, this would need some extra coding. If you are a coder, you can check out cwsFolderGalleryPage.php inside the modules code folder as starting point. Will think about it once I finished my vacation.

haantje72

Community Member, 69 Posts

6 October 2012 at 7:17am

use this module now for 4 sites... works ok and starting to love the module... great work so far!

Somehow i have my private site with thousands of pictures. Now when my folder has subfolders i get the tree displayed the folder but when i want to select subfolders i get the message not found.. maybe a SS3.2 problem? When i go to the tab files, the folder with pictures is there and they are selectable!

Another point wich could maybe be better for the picturealbum is that it resizes the large picture to! I have several pictures sized between 10 and 25MB. It takes sometimes a lot of time to load the popup. If the image is resized automaticly on first load of the picture (or all images on first load of the album wich makes first time page-opening slow, but is better), makes the module much more usable.

A lot of users use ss for private websites. Maybe in the cms there could be a checkbox available for => downloadable and in the template a download>>> button (or text) for sharing. So the user can choose to let the pictures be downloadable or not.

cwsoft

8 October 2012 at 7:17am

Edited: 08/10/2012 9:48am

@haantje72: First thanks for your feedback.

>Now when my folder has subfolders i get the tree displayed the folder but when i want to select subfolders i get the message not found.. maybe a SS3.2 problem?
Just to make sure. You are talking about the dropdown box to choose an image folder of a Foldergallery page right? Sounds like your filesystem is not synchronized. Go to the SilverStripe "Files" tab and press the "Sync files" button - then try again.
Tested with SS 3.0.2 and latest Firefox, no issues on my side (could select folder "4legs" from "/assets/cwsoft-foldergallery/2012/animals/4legs".

>Another point wich could maybe be better for the picturealbum is that it resizes the large picture to! I have several pictures sized between 10 and 25MB. It takes sometimes a lot of time to load the popup. If the image is resized automaticly on first load of the picture (or all images on first load of the album wich makes first time page-opening slow, but is better), makes the module much more usable.
I normally resize all my images to the maximum "popup-size" (e.g. 640x480) size and reduce the screen resolution (e.g. 96 dpi for screens and low file size and loading time) BEFORE uploading via FTP, using the batch mode of my preferred Photo tool (e.g. Gimp or PSE). If you do not have a photo editing tool, you could use freeware tools like Photo Resizer to acomplish this task.

Guess if you have lots of images (10-30MB) to be resized by PHP on your server, it will need several page loads to resize all images due to PHP script executing time and/or memory limits (check your php.ini). However, I will think about this option and check if it makes sense to implement it with a future version.

>A lot of users use ss for private websites. Maybe in the cms there could be a checkbox available for => downloadable and in the template a download>>> button (or text) for sharing. So the user can choose to let the pictures be downloadable or not.
Not quite sure I understand what you are after. Do you want to download single images or all images of a specificy album and/or all images at once? A "download image link" could easily be added to the template, pointing to a download page. To be honest, I somewhat doubt that this feature is really usefull for a simple gallery module.

Cheers

haantje72

Community Member, 69 Posts

9 October 2012 at 6:27am

Edited: 09/10/2012 6:30am

Thanks for the answer...
All the folders have been synchronised... the files tab shows all the folder and files in it but when i want to select them in the gallerypage still have the error not found... i think this could be a ss3 problem with a lot of folders... the only thing i dont understand is that i can see them all in files but cant select them in the cwsoft dropdown sitetree! With ss2... i can read and write and now i'm starting to learn ss3... a lot has changed...
I have found when i log into phpMyAdmin and put the ID manually into the db Query of the CWsoftpage it shows the folder without any problem! So the folder exists but the sitetree dropdown on the page does noet see them.

The below 2 points was ment as maybe possible future points wich could be interesting for some people.
If i look how mostly nasservers work with pictures i think more people would in time prefer this.

For the pictures i personally mostly need to have an download in original size that large (15-30MB)... for me its no real problem and can program the resizing with it (in this case its not to difficult). I can also get an preview smaller and name the download picturename_large.jpg. If i generally look most people who shoot at for instance 10MP pictures wich will be large 2 - 5MB dont know how to resize so it would be a bit more professional to have it sesized on the server side.
BTW if i resize the pictures i prefer Photoshop ;) it stays the best photo-editing program

For the download... Its not really important but somehow easy. I have it myself allready hardcoded in the .ss files. If i look it from another point... personal use... some people use it to show friends and family the pictures and give them a possibility for download. A total folderdownload i havnt been thinking yet but would be also an possibility but somehow more advanced. I think this should be downloaded as kind of total zip file.

Go to Top