Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Image Gallery Extension: Testers Needed

Go to End

417 Posts   117807 Views

Stephan

Community Member, 55 Posts

10 March 2009 at 10:47pm

Edited: 10/03/2009 10:48pm

Hello,
yes I checked out the newest version and this is much much better :-)
One problem exists:
In the admin area I said thumbnail Size = 120 and normalSize = 500,
then I got cropped images with 120x120 and images with setwidth500...

Is there any possibility to make thumbnails with setwidth120 ?

TIA Stephan

soft-systems

Community Member, 11 Posts

11 March 2009 at 1:04am

Edited: 11/03/2009 1:16am

I would just like to say thankyou so much for the work you have put in on the image galley module. you have totally saved my butt!
one thing - dont know if this is possible or not but(t) - if you are on a slower connection, and you are viewing an album on a site that runs this image gallery, if you click on a thumbnail before the page has fully loaded - the javascript hasnt kicked in and you see the image in a blank page totally unformatted. dont know if people with slow connections should just get over it and upgrade but is there anyway to make the javascript load in first? This may be a totally null question... I am on broadband, but im in new zealand. in the south island. practically antarctica. and this is what happens to me if i view the albums on my site i have just set up.

but yeh thanks again!

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

11 March 2009 at 2:51am

@Stephan - Currently the ImageGallery only supports square thumbnails to comply with the CSS layout requiring fixed heights. Since there's no way to guarantee the aspect ratio of the images coming in, cropping to square is really the safest approach, and I happen to think it looks a lot better, too.

@soft-systems - Your feedback is much appreciated! I've been trying to find a way to block clicks while the body loads. If anyone has any ideas, i'd be open to them. Sometimes people put a div overlay on the page.

BMS

Community Member, 4 Posts

11 March 2009 at 4:15am

Edited: 11/03/2009 4:16am

pagination style part 2.

file: image_gallery/css/ImageGallery.css

When I tested the original fix the gallery I was using had a last row that was full.
When I looked at a gallery that had a last row that was not full I found that
pagination menu showed up inline with the image icons in FF3.0.7 but in the correct
lower left position below the icons in IE6.

I have fixed it for both by adding a float.

#pagination-imagegallery {border:0; margin:10px 0 0 0; padding:0;clear:both;display:inline;float:left;}

Yulia

Community Member, 26 Posts

11 March 2009 at 1:31pm

Would that be possible to display images from a gallery on a home page as a slideshow...? like on a sidebar?

i really like this module, thank you!

UncleCheese

11 March 2009 at 2:05pm

Sure... You could do something like this..

function SlideShow()
{
return DataObject::get("ImageGalleryItem", "AlbumID = $AlbumID", null, null, $limit)
}

<% control Slideshow %>
$Image $Caption
<% end_control %>

Shawn Parr

Community Member, 60 Posts

12 March 2009 at 3:08am

Hey UC,

I've finally got a chance to play around a bit and it looks good. I have ran into a couple wacky issues though.

1. Seems to be a bug. Adding images to the default album actually uploads them to the root assets folder instead of the new folder image gallery creates for them:
a. Create a new imagegallery page
b. Save the page
c. Go straight to the Photos tab and upload some images
d. Save the page
e. Navigate away from the page, for instance click on the Files & Images tab to see that the files were uploaded to the Assets folder rather than assets/image-gallery/etc/etc/
f. Return to the imagegallery page and go to the photos tab, all the images will now be a default image icon showing that it couldn't find the images.

This didn't happen when I created a second album and specifically named it. The default album folder is being properly created in the asset manager, it just isn't being used.

2. This is just a usability quirk. When adding images to a new album, the default album may be listed by default in the upload dialog boxes:
a. Create a new album for a gallery page (make sure there are at least 2 albums)
b. In the photo tab select your new album for uploading to, notice the button says "Add images to {your new album's name}"
c. Upload at least one image
d. When the edit window appears to name and caption, the album selection will be on default album. If you save without changing it the image will be moved from where you intended to save it to the default album folder.

With this one it is a bit counter-intuitive that I've gone to all the trouble to select a specific album, just to have to select it again for each picture I've uploaded in the edit phase. I don't know how much of a challenge it might be, but it would be ideal if that selection followed the album selection in the main photo tab.

UncleCheese

12 March 2009 at 5:18am

Edited: 12/03/2009 5:19am

1. Seems to be a bug. Adding images to the default album actually uploads them to the root assets folder instead of the new folder image gallery creates for them:

==> I can't replicate this error, but it does sound eerily similar to some bugs that were resolved in the version I checked in yesterday. Can you update?

2. This is just a usability quirk. When adding images to a new album, the default album may be listed by default in the upload dialog boxes:

==> THANK YOU or figuring this out. I've been scratching my head wondering why some people are reporting all photos going to the default album. I knew it had to be something obvious like this. In the latest version, the edit photo form now loads the data from the record so the dropdown will default to the correct value. I was going to remove it, but i figured giving people the option to change the album on the fly wouldn't be so bad.

Thanks again! Keep testing.

Go to Top