Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Image Gallery Extension: Testers Needed

Go to End

417 Posts   117813 Views

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

9 May 2009 at 1:54am

I never checked if ComplexTableFields worked. The reason was that I have a super tight deadline and there was another problem I was having with the NestedURLs branch, so I figured with the 2 fairly important compatibility issues, it was just easier/quicker for me to use the stable 2.3.x version.

If I get some free time over the weekend, I'll setup a test copy and debug more.

Felicia

Community Member, 7 Posts

10 May 2009 at 4:27am

Edited: 10/05/2009 4:30am

Hi Uncle Cheese,
The Image Gallery is working great, thank you so much.

I was wondering if you have any plans on adding the search functionality mentioned here:
http://silverstripe.org/all-other-modules/show/259512
to Image Gallery and Data Object Manager?

If not, I will make all the necessary changes

The search is pretty bad right now and it seems like this is a nice fix.

Thank You!

Felicia

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

12 May 2009 at 1:54am

Can you do me a favor and try doing it yourself and let me know the result? The custom search stuff is so untested. I don't want to check anything into the SVN until I know it works. Thanks.

Alan Tucker

Community Member, 5 Posts

15 May 2009 at 9:23am

I was wondering how I would show a small selection of images for each Album. I want to display a list of Albums with there description and then include say the top 4 images for that Album. Any ideas?

Thanks

Al

cshtauralrets

Community Member, 9 Posts

17 May 2009 at 7:00am

Edited: 17/05/2009 7:13am

Suggestions:
1. The configuration pane would have sane defaults so that the gallery worked by default. EDIT: Apparently if you take an existing page and change it to an Image Gallery page the defaults are not applied. However, if you create a new page as an Image Gallery page, then the defaults are applied.
2. If you could save your own defaults from within the CMS. Having to remember these is a pain in the butt.
3. If you could choose to use the actual size for the popup image rather than resizing
4. If when adding files to an album you could have a "Select All" checkbox or just have them all selected by default. I have to click a whole lot because of this.

Praise:
1. The ability to choose different popup js UIs
2. The UI to choose a folder to import images from is far better than the standard SS UI. It is far faster.

Defect:
There is a defect where if you enter a caption with quotes the string will be terminated at the first instance of a quote. This is an easy fix. The old gallery module had this defect as well.

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

17 May 2009 at 12:47pm

Edited: 17/05/2009 12:48pm

@ at - You could probably do:

<% control Albums %>
$AlbumName
$Description
<% control GalleryItems %>
<% control getRange(0,4) %>
$Image
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

@cshtauralrets -

1. The configuration pane would have sane defaults so that the gallery worked by default. EDIT: Apparently if you take an existing page and change it to an Image Gallery page the defaults are not applied. However, if you create a new page as an Image Gallery page, then the defaults are applied.

==> Yes, this is just a limitation of the $defaults property, unforunately.

2. If you could save your own defaults from within the CMS. Having to remember these is a pain in the butt.

==> Not sure what you mean. Where would they be saved if not on the ImageGalleryPage? One consideration in this module was that the old Gallery module required the user to re-enter defaults for every gallery. Since ImageGallery segments your images into albums, the settings cascade down, so the need for multiple galleries is often not necessary -- only multiple albums.

3. If you could choose to use the actual size for the popup image rather than resizing

==> You're suggested a cropped resize for the popup? It's an idea, but I think most people are going to want to show the image in its entirety for the popup. Thumbnails can stand to be cropped, however. In general, I do intend to add more resizing options to both the thumbnail and popup images. This was available in the old Gallery module, but in my experience, content editors hated it because it was just a bunch of language they didn't understand, so there's a fine line between offering new levels of customization and creating too much work.

4. If when adding files to an album you could have a "Select All" checkbox or just have them all selected by default. I have to click a whole lot because of this.

==> Good idea for the import dropdown, but you know the upload interface allows you to shift or ctrl click multiple images, right?

cshtauralrets

Community Member, 9 Posts

18 May 2009 at 9:33am

@UncleCheese:

1. OK, that makes sense.
2. I basically would want one place to set up the configuration, rather than having it be possible for the user to change it on a per-gallery basis. As the site developer I don't really want the client to make changes to the Image Gallery config. I don't think they necessarily want to bother with it either. I do see your point about cascading too, but I don't know if my site tree is setup in a manner in which this can benefit me.
3. No, rather I mean I would want an option to show each image at it's original size. Currently you set a maximum dimension (height or width, whichever is larger). I would rather not want to resize at all, and just display at whatever the original size. The old Gallery module called this Original Resize I believe.
4. No, I didn't realize you could shift/ctrl-click. That's very helpful, but I would say that this sort of interaction isn't very apparent/discoverable. A text hint might be beneficial.

Thanks for the discussion.

One last question, is it possible to migrate many pages based on the old Gallery Module to your new Image Gallery Module? I have maybe around a hundred Gallery pages which I would love to move over, but there's no way at this point in the project that I can invest the time to do this manually. The site has already been delivered.

Thanks again for your good work.

micahsheets

Community Member, 165 Posts

20 May 2009 at 10:46am

Uncle Cheese,

I was wondering if you ever looked into my request in post at http://www.silverstripe.org/all-other-modules/show/250910?start=280#post259431 ?

This was a partial solution to the die() problem in the controller init and also allows for setting the renderWith template to something custom. I have been using this modification for a while now and can't find any errors with it.

I did forget about it though and updated my gallery to the newest version and found that I had to go back and make this mod again. I will probably have to make this modification on every site I put the gallery module on which is pretty much all the sites I build now.

If you can look at it and let me know if you would incorporate it into your code or if not, let me know what is wrong with my code so I can learn from it.

Thanks.

Go to Top