Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Preview: Event Calendar Module

Go to End

293 Posts   69206 Views

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

14 January 2009 at 4:28pm

I will be releasing an EventCalendar module next week. If anyone wants to take it for a test drive, I could use some testers. The demo, in an almost-beta state is here:

http://eventcalendar.carlinowebdesign.com

and the admin is here:

http://eventcalendar.carlinowebdesign.com/admin
u: admin
p: password

and the docs are here:

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=modules:event_calendar

and a recipe on how to extend the calendar to do just about anything is here:

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=recipes:extending_the_event_calendar

Enjoy!

ABailey

Community Member, 8 Posts

14 January 2009 at 4:38pm

Edited: 14/01/2009 6:37pm

I'll test! This is the module I've been working on that prevented me from testing your image gallery extension. :-) I'll do some Q/A tonight.

Some initial bug findings:
Dates and Times tab -> Clicking on the popup calendar modal first throws a "Page cannot be found", closing that, I get the date selection screen. I'm in Firefox, and am allowing scripts for the site. Not getting any javascript errors. The date selection screen also requires several clicks to get it to exit if I'm not picking a date.

Dates and Times tab -> The times always save with a date of 1/13/2009 (today's date), could be confusing to people, even though I understand only the time portion is used on the front-end.

Dates and Times tab -> Blank entry is also created during save/publish. Not a big deal, but again, could be confusing to people.

Feature request:
The advanced calendar I see has a category (type). Would it be possible in the site tree to branch out the types? I'd imagine it would be an easy extension I could do myself, just curious your thoughts. More importantly, could the types be manageable through the admin interface, or only hard-coded? (This is one 'feature' of SS I'm still trying to implement properly without requiring a whole separate admin top nav element).

I'll play with it more tomorrow, I couldn't really get much else to break.

GREAT JOB!

Taffy

Community Member, 119 Posts

14 January 2009 at 10:07pm

Edited: 14/01/2009 10:07pm

Impressive. This will be a great add-on to SS.

I especially like the options to add an image and a link to a registration form.

UncleCheese

15 January 2009 at 4:39am

The Advanced calendar is simply an example of how the Calendar can be extended to do anything you want. Please don't take it literally. All those extra fields are just examples of how you can modify the core Calendar class.

For a good tutorial on how do extend the calendar, see the recipe I posted above.

The popup bug is a known SS bug when ComplexTableFields are loaded after normal TableFields.

jsdev

Community Member, 9 Posts

15 January 2009 at 12:48pm

realy impressive, how can be helped by testing ?
Is ist possible to get a version for local install in own test installations ?

UncleCheese

15 January 2009 at 3:58pm

I guess I was hoping that people could hammer on it a bit and see if anything breaks. I'd also like people to check out the docs and see if there's any features they'd like to add, and if it seems like it has any legs.

Download will be available next week per an agreement with my colleagues.

Chucky2k

Community Member, 32 Posts

15 January 2009 at 4:59pm

Edited: 15/01/2009 5:00pm

Hi UncleCheese

I see that there are 2 announcements listed for the Basic Calendar but when viewing the page I cannot see the announcements listed.

Suggestion for the calendar Widget: Can the dates that have events scheduled be highlighted a different colour?

When clicking on a particular date the entries to the left display all events from that day and on. My first impression was that it would behave as the Start - End filter widget and only display any events for that day.

Awesome module by the way.

Chucky

UncleCheese

15 January 2009 at 5:28pm

Wow. Great catches, Chucky. I fixed both of those bugs.

As for the calendar widget colors, well, like any module, the CSS is meant to just give you something generic and I expect the end user will customize the look and feel for his specific site.

Thanks for testing!

Go to Top