Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Preview: Event Calendar Module

Go to End

293 Posts   69213 Views

cygnet

Community Member, 20 Posts

11 September 2009 at 8:30pm

any ideas uncle cheese?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

12 September 2009 at 1:19am

Form & Code

Community Member, 7 Posts

22 September 2009 at 9:59pm

Hi.
First post. :-)

Just a little additional note on that datepicker popup jquery problem which is described earlier in this thread:
http://silverstripe.org/all-other-modules/show/252277?start=240#post260705

Making sure that only one version of jquery.js is used was the solution to my problem. It also explains why updating SilverStripe, DataObjectsManager and event_calendar first solved the problem, but adding other extensions made it come up again. I'm just pushing this up again to remind that this is not a solved issue.

Anyways, UncleCheese provides some great extensions here, I like them. :-) Cheers mate!

Further little things I came across, dunno if they've been discussed:
- In the date filter, I can select a timespan like, say, sept 24th to sept 19th. Not a bug, but funny.
- Start time and end time show me the *current* date as a prefix to the hour ... doesnt seem to affect the entry as the date is picked from another field. Not a bug, but funny.
- Start time shown as hh:mm:ss, end time shown as hh:mm. Not a bug, but funny.
- Way way off topic: As many noobs around, like myself, at first have trouble putting Calendar.ss where it belongs or creating one, it would be nice include one in the online tutorial and/or the README. At first I tried to add things like $EventCalendar or $CalendarWidget to my content page as this was what I expected how it should work after having used modules like User Defined Forms... there you just add $UserDefinedForm into your page content and you're set. Of course this is not the way Event Calendar is meant to work, but somehow I had a hard time finding out that I should actually add a Calendar.ss to make the calendar show up in the frontend. ;-)
If it's actually described and I was just to clueless to see it, never mind though. ;-)

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

24 September 2009 at 7:39am

Hi, there, really-long-username-that-I'm-too-lazy-to-type,

Thanks for your feedback. A while back, I moved all the jQuery.js calls to the core jsparty directory so that redundancies wouldn't happen and there could be a general consensus around using jquery 1.2.6 for now, albeit outdated.

I keep meaning to add in the baseHref() calls. Hopefully that will put this issue away permanently.

Your other comments:

- In the date filter, I can select a timespan like, say, sept 24th to sept 19th. Not a bug, but funny.

===> True. Could use some validation, but I'll mark it fairly low priority.

-- Start time and end time show me the *current* date as a prefix to the hour ... doesnt seem to affect the entry as the date is picked from another field. Not a bug, but funny.

====> Just the nature of a mysql timestamp field. A time always has a date attached to it. I'm going to add in some helper methods to make the times more readable in the backend.

- Start time shown as hh:mm:ss, end time shown as hh:mm. Not a bug, but funny.

===> Haven't noticed this. I'll poke around.

As for syndicating your calendar, I'm wondering if you mean the entire calendar page or just the calendar widget? The idea of calling in a whole page from within another page makes my brain hurt. Surely you just mean a recent events box or something? All of that is built in with SiteTree decorators.

Form & Code

1 October 2009 at 5:45am

First of all, thanks for your replies. :)

"As for syndicating your calendar, I'm wondering if you mean the entire calendar page or just the calendar widget? The idea of calling in a whole page from within another page makes my brain hurt. Surely you just mean a recent events box or something? All of that is built in with SiteTree decorators."

Hm no, I dont think we're talking about the same thing here. Got a hell of a headache today, dont know if I can explain it well.

The thing is that a noob like myself isn't likely to find out that you actually need to find the calendar's .ss files and place them somewhere appropriate. Check the comments at the bottom of this page:
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=modules:event_calendar
there are several people who didnt find out at first that you actually dont have to put a variable into your page's content in order to make the whole calendar frontend show up, but that the page type Event Calendar comes with several templates of its own, which have to be in place. So they can ?flush=1 all day, but thats of no use if the calendar's templates are not found as SilverStripe will fall back to page.ss . They just assume the calendar doesnt work.

Form & Code

1 October 2009 at 5:45am

"As for syndicating your calendar, I'm wondering if you mean the entire calendar page or just the calendar widget? The idea of calling in a whole page from within another page makes my brain hurt. Surely you just mean a recent events box or something? All of that is built in with SiteTree decorators."

Hm no, I dont think we're talking about the same thing here. Got a hell of a headache today, dont know if I can explain it well.

The thing is that a noob like myself isn't likely to find out that you actually need to find the calendar's .ss files and place them somewhere appropriate. Check the comments at the bottom of this page:
there are several people who didnt find out at first that you actually dont have to put a variable into your page's content in order to make the whole calendar frontend show up, but that the page type Event Calendar comes with several templates of its own, which have to be in place. So they can ?flush=1 all day, but thats of no use if the calendar's templates are not found as SilverStripe will fall back to page.ss . They just assume the calendar doesnt work.

Form & Code

1 October 2009 at 5:46am

UndefinedOffset

Community Member, 30 Posts

4 December 2009 at 2:53am

I seem to be having a weird issue. If I set an event up for Dec 04, 2009 (start and end date the same, all day or with a time range) it doesn't show up when I click on the 4th on the calendar. But when I set it up for repeating every day until the 31st it'll show up. Even when you say have an event starting on the 4th-5th it won't show up (set to all day or time range). Any ideas?

Using the head rev of dataobject_manager event_calendar and SilverStripe 2.3.4