Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Dashboard Module

Go to End

84 Posts   27698 Views

Mad_Clog

Community Member, 78 Posts

13 October 2009 at 1:06am

Thanks for the merge, you're pretty fast ;)
Looking forward to the more modular version.
Good luck and keep up the good work!

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

15 October 2009 at 10:44am

Right, its taken god knows how much time slaving over a hot IDE, but I think this branch is ready for testing.

I have made some changes from Uncle Cheese's code, including:

Refactoring, tried to reduce some repeated methods

Added more variables, to allow for additional plugin options.

I felt the location names were a bit to ambiguous. So have changed to:
Left: same as before.
Alerts: Appear above the Dashboard heading
Snippet: Half width right column items.
Full_width: Full width right column item.

Used a Django style generic template system. Plugins will attempt to render with their own templates, but if these cant be found, they will fall back to the generic template. You have to use a method name to match the template though, and return the correct generic variables that I have presented in the Comments. Otherwise you will just get nothing :).

Generally tried to make everything a lot more hot swappable. CSS has been rewritten so you should be able to quickly add add plugins running off generic templates. Also, jquery popups are generated by adding a 'popup' class to a link.

There is other stuff as well, but I cant remember it :). Check the commit comments if you are interested.

Currently this resides within branches/modular I will move it to trunk after it has had some more testing :).

Mo

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

15 October 2009 at 12:07pm

Rockin'. Thanks for pressing forward with this. I can't wait to get it running for some of my clients.

Mo

15 October 2009 at 9:34pm

No problem, at the end of the day this should help everyone (including me) :)

I would recommend you test this branch before letting it loose on clients ;).

It should now (hopefully) be very easy to expand, from within your mysite folder.

I wouldn't mind expanding the amount of default plugins available, but am trying to think of some extra ones I could develop.

Any thoughts?

Mo

24 October 2009 at 10:51am

I have been using this on a few projects now and am not getting any errors. If no one else flags anything up, then I will merge this with the trunk next week.

Cheers,

Mo

infoclipper

Community Member, 5 Posts

27 October 2009 at 9:31am

I thought I'd replied to this a few days ago, but can't find any trace now.

I am running the latest SS trunk (pre-2.4, r90077) with the Dashboard module from branches/modular. Everything seems to work just fine, I get the Dashboard as the first item in my menu, clicking it takes me to the dashboard, all the modules work. So far so great. Logging in, however, always takes me to Site Content and not Dashboard, as I think it should. Any ideas where to look to override the default load for /admin/?

Thanks!

Mo

27 October 2009 at 12:37pm

I haven't tested this with 2.4 yet (haven't had a chance).

I am guessing that the way the admin URL's are written have been changed, when I can actually successfully checkout the trunk I will see if I can work it out.

Cheers for the heads up,

Mo

Mo

6 November 2009 at 12:59pm

Just so everyone knows, I have updated the trunk to incorporate the modular layout. I also rewrote some of the code to get it working in the trunk version of SS.

I have not tested this in any other releases though, so there may be issues.

Cheers,

Mo