Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Newsletter module sends empty email

Go to End

5 Posts   2256 Views

_Vince

Community Member, 165 Posts

7 October 2009 at 7:51am

I have installed the stable version of the Newsletter module.

I have created a newsletter type.
I have created a newsletter draft for that type. I've used the subscription email that comes with the module as a model but I've also adapted the one shown in the documentation.

The template I've created shows up in the drop down list.

I have created a mailing list (manually, but still from within the CMS)

The created recipients show up on the list.

Whenever I send myself a test email (to Outlook and/or Yahoo! accounts) the email arrives blank. The subject and the sender info are, however, correct.

When I send the email to the mailing list, it also arrives blank.

When I preview the email I've just sent (from the "sent items" folder), I can see the email. The template is correct.

However, only the fields that relate to the email itself ($Subject, $Body/$Contents, etc) are parsed into the email. Stuff from the member table ($FirstName, etc) is not.

I have also tried prefixing those fields with "Member."

I deleted the stable version and tried everything again with the trunk version.

No difference, it still sends out an empty email every time.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

_Vince

7 October 2009 at 4:23pm

Edited: 07/10/2009 4:24pm

Ok, THIS part I get:

When I preview the email I've just sent (from the "sent items" folder), I can see the email. The template is correct.

However, only the fields that relate to the email itself ($Subject, $Body/$Contents, etc) are parsed into the email. Stuff from the member table ($FirstName, etc) is not.

the CMS is not going to preview the same email template for everyone on the list, so it leaves out individual list-member details and just displays the common bits.

Still can't understand why the email arrives empty though?

_Vince

8 October 2009 at 7:52am

*bump*

anybody..?

one2gamble

Community Member, 30 Posts

8 October 2009 at 11:42am

Edited: 08/10/2009 11:45am

have you sent it off to more than one account?

You may want to check your template or just use the provided one on this site to see if its working. It doesnt really make sense that it would complete the send without the content unless some tags are wrong?

_Vince

8 October 2009 at 3:55pm

Yeah, I've sent it to myself, and to a mailing list of three accounts.

Always arrives empty.

As far as the tags go, I've tried changing the extension on the template and the template displays correctly as html. The data parsed in from the database is displayed as text ($FirstName, $Surname, etc).

I've used both a renamed copy of the subscription email and an edited copy of the template shown in the documentation. They're both arriving blank.

And no, it doesn't make sense that I seem to be the only guy with this problem :D , I'm sure it'll turn out be something really minor and stupid. But until then... the emails always arrive empty.